Friday, June 12, 2009

Good Friday and it's June?

Today is Good Friday but it's June? And indeed it is June with 95 degree temps and heat index in triple digits. The news broke early this morning. We have a new Archbishop and he is one of us. Bishop Gregory Aymond is from Gentilly and went to seminary first at St. Joseph's here on the Northshore where I live and then at Notre Dame. A priest since 1975, he served as an Auxilliary Bishop here before taking the reins of the Diocese of Austin in 2000. I so look forward to working with and for him as one of his Permanent Deacons.

This morning I was able to assist at Mass when Fr. Raymond broke the news to the congregation. It was evident that most knew Bishop Gregory.

So is the news today of our new Archbishop enough to make me say Good Friday. Well, it would be if I did not spend a good bit of the day in prison. Yes, I usually go on Wednesday nights and preside at Communion Service. But I have long desired to really go where the inmates live and work and spend their day. And today I did. I visited all 4 cell pods at Rayburn, only missing the cell blocks. In the pods, the men live 64 in a big dorm room. I easily met and greeted over 100 men today, offering greetings, prayer and an invite to attend our Catholic services. My guide for the afternoon assured me that my presence as a representative of Jesus and his Church was huge. He informed me that I am the 1st Catholic chaplain to tour the pods in years. For that I say thanks be to God.

I must admit that I saw things today that I never dreamed I would ever see. But for the most part, I saw and met men who are doing their time, were respectful and even some expressed a need to draw closer to relationship with the living God. It will be my pledge to do this monthly. Perhaps at this time of year, I will not do this in the middle of the day when its so hot outside, and inside too. No A/C in prison.

Everyday since ordination, I marvel at the people God has placed in my life. Sometimes I grumble about tasks I have to do or work assignments that come from holding down a full time job. Whether at work, doing errands, cruising through Facebook, or countless other things, I meet someone who approaches the "deacon" about God, the Church, the joys and fears of their lives. Everyday! If being a Deacon gives them confidence to use me as His instrument then I can truly say that which I learned in formation: its not what I do but who I am; service sacramentalized as a Permanent Deacon.

Indeed, it is a Good Friday!

Jesus Christ, the same yesterday, today and forever! Heb. 13:8

Deacon Mike

1 comment:

  1. Good for you, Mike!! Glad to hear that you are finding your ministry rewarding. How's the preaching going?

    I think my wife knows an aunt(?) of yours through Catholic Daughters at Holy Name of Mary. They came over from St. Julien when it closed.

    Wishing you all God's blessings!

    Dean

    ReplyDelete