Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day

Sincere wishes to all mothers, grandmothers and God-mothers on this special day. All too often we take mothers for granted. On this, the 3rd Mother's Day since my mom has gone to her heavenly reward I am more aware than ever of her loss. We never really understand the sacrifice they make for us and the challenges they face. For my mom, she was basically a single mom and with the help of extended family did all she could for me and my sisters.

I'm also more aware of how I can take for granted the loving job my wife has done in raising our two children. With one very successful in his career and the other well on her way (LSU Honor student) I certainly must credit Wendy for all she has done for them and for me. Without her loving support, I know that I never would have made through six years of formation.

Today, on this Mother's Day I'm thinking about mom and Wendy and other remarkable moms that have come in and out of my life. I have a great mother-in-law, a wonderfully devoted aunt, a sister who is a great mom and countless friends who have my admiration for the job they do as moms. Some have had to endure countless challenges and obstacles but tackle them head on and continue to devote themselves to the amazing vocation of motherhood. You are all in my prayers in a special way on this beautiful day.

And let's not forget the most beautiful example of motherhood in Mary our Blessed Mother. Her complete and total submission to God's will and loving devotion to her son, Jesus, is one that should give us great joy and peace. To Mary, I say: Totus Tuus, totally yours.

From the Gospel of St Luke, here is Mary's great prayer upon the news she would become the mother of Jesus, the Magnificat:

"My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord; my spirit rejoices in God my Savior. For He has looked upon His handmaid's lowliness; behold, from now on all ages will call me blessed. The Mighty One has done great things for me and holy is His name. His mercy is from age to age to those who fear Him. He has shown His might with His arm and has scattered the arrogant of mind and heart. He has thrown down the rulers from their thrones but lifted up the lowly. The hungry He has filled with good things; the rich He has sent away empty. He has helped Israel His servant, remembering His mercy, according to His promise to our fathers, to Abraham and to His descendants forever." Luke 1:46-55.

Happy Mothers Day

No comments:

Post a Comment