Sunday, April 19, 2009

How God speaks to us...

When we need it most, in most unusual ways, when we least expect it, through others, in good times, all the time, in bad times, in Church, in the store, when I’m alone, quietly, reassuringly, lovingly, hopefully, through friends, even strangers, in prison, as a Father, with understanding, compassion, with mercy, comforting, last night, today, through a child, always…

I’ve been listening lately; hearing Him.

When you stop to hear the Father talking to you, when you ponder how much He loves you, there is a fullness I can’t really explain.

Today I held a baby boy in my arms, standing before Jesus in prayer at the Tabernacle. He had just become a new creation in Baptism; water from the Easter vigil poured by a humble servant with ever so slightly trembling hands. This was one of the most profound moments of my young diaconate. And I could hear God speaking to me. No audible voice, no private revelation, nonetheless I was listening today.

In my baptism homily, I spoke about birthdays and how all of us, once baptized, have a “church” birthday too. Of course all of us can name our birthday, but who among us knows the date of our baptism. To illustrate the point, I asked a child, to tell me her birthday. She replied, March 12th. March 12th, I asked her, almost in unbelief. You see, March 12th is the birthday of my mom, who has been gone now for two years. In fact, it will be two years this very week.

On the first occasion to baptize a beautiful child, on this special day when a beautiful sacrament was celebrated in the Church, He speaks to me of my mom, who as time goes by, is not in my thoughts as much as she should be.

Mom almost made it to see her only son ordained and even though I realize she was with me on December 13th, how awesome it would have been to have her physically with me. So how beautifully remarkable I am reminded of her presence with me on this most unforgettable day of my young diaconia.

That family and that strikingly handsome, healthy little boy will never fully realize the role they played today in drawing me even closer to the Father. And what a beautiful memory to instill in me as the Baptism proceeded; my sweet yet always vulnerable mom, who lived her life only wanting good things for her three children.

Just as Jesus came to Thomas in today’s Gospel reading to quell his doubts, allay his fears, and strengthens his faith, God is always talking to us, coming to us to strengthen us in relationship with Him.

Thank you God for helping me realize today that you are always talking to me and have no doubt, your servant is always listening. Help me to hear clearly your will for me.

Give thanks to the Lord for He is good; His mercy endures forever; alleluia.

A humble yet grateful servant.

No comments:

Post a Comment