Saturday, March 14, 2009

I was in prison and you visited me

As a recently ordained Permanent Deacon I am assigned two ministries. I already have mentioned that I serve at my home parish, St. Jane de Chantal, in Abita Springs but my primary assignment is in prison. Yes, I minister to inmates at a state facility in Angie, La. known as Rayburn Correctional Center.

Prior to discerning my vocational call, I could not have ever imagined serving in a prison. In fact, I had typical views about prisoners and prison; you know, lock 'em up and throw away the key. As formation went on and I became aware of prison ministry for Deacons, I prayed that I would not be assigned to prison. In my initial interviews for my clinicals, I must have conveyed my reluctance to go to prison. So naturally, they sent me to prison.

I began a 6-month training at Rayburn; a very intimidating proposition. I still recall the sound of the gate slamming behind me once inside for the first time. I decided to embrace the ministry and suppress my fears and preconceived notions. I quickly became comfortable meeting the men, talking with them, even one-on-one, observing them at prayer, Mass, sharing their spirituality. I was always moved. I remember missing one of my assigned nights due to the passing away of my mom. Several days later, a classmate informed me of the inmates offering prayers for my mom and for me. Again, I was moved.

One of my fondest memories at Rayburn was Ash Wednesday and my visit to the infirmary. An older inmate, sitting in a wheelchair, recovering from serious surgery, still tough looking and intimidating called out. He wanted ashes. I obliged, applied the ashes to his forehead and said the words: "turn away from sin and believe in the Gospel." Immediately, he shook and began to cry. No words were necessary. He was sorry for his sins and turned to Jesus. It was beautiful.

Two years later, I have returned to Rayburn, now as their Deacon, to minister and pray with them. They have welcomed me back with open arms. I have loved bringing them Jesus in both Word and the Eucharist. I have been able to bring a Priest twice and we celebrate Mass together. Soon, I will be allowed by the state to visit the inmates in their dorms and cells. This is most important for Jesus must be brought to the men where they are. I hope to visit with many more men and share with them the love Christ has for all of them.

Let me be clear. These men are in prison, somewhere along the way they have broken the law. They must do the time their sentence calls for. To date, I have never heard them deny wrongdoing, claim they were framed, make excuses for bad choices. Quite the contrary. They focus on rehabilitation, education and spirituality. They work to grow in faith, to turn to Jesus and to reform their lives.

Today, I embrace fully the Church's mission to bring liberty to captives, to free those imprisoned by sin, to visit those in prison, to preach the Good News to all corners of the world, even on the inside.

"For I was in prison and you visited me." Matthew 25:35

2 comments:

  1. Hi Deacon Mike- great Blog thanks! I was a prison chaplain too and I miss my minstry there very much. May God Bless you and all that you serve there.

    ReplyDelete