Sunday, November 17, 2019

Interesting article about Kanye West written by one of our local parish members/volunteers


Kanye’s conversion music can’t be dissed or dismissed



By Kristen Bourgeois, NOLA Catholic Parenting
Kanye West’s new album, “Jesus is King,” dropped recently, and it’s got everybody talking about it, from non-believers to believers.
I gave the new album a listen, and I liked what I heard. I liked all the songs on the album, but one song in particular spoke to me. The song, “God is,” is more gospel than the usual rap we hear from Kanye.
It’s a wonderfully written and sung song that reminded me of my own conversion – how I felt the initial burden of the world lifted from my shoulders. I felt relief. I felt joy. I felt hope for the first time in my life. And, I wanted more.
I wanted to share this relief, this joy, this hope. And, there was no going back to the old way I was living my life. Hearing someone who has had a conversion put it so beautifully to music is a reminder of how awesome our God is!
“You won’t ever be the same when you call on Jesus’ name.”
And how true is that?     
Unfortunately, not everyone is happy with the new album or with Kanye’s conversion. I’ve even heard someone on social media say Kanye is a “false convert.”
It got me thinking about the Gospel story of the prodigal son. You know the story. Let’s not be like the older brother, upset that his younger brother returned to the father after squandering his inheritance. We should rejoice when anyone returns to the “father.” Life is messy. So, it makes sense that conversion is messy, too.
I know mine was.
So, just when we want to judge somebody on their conversion or how they got there, remember the refrain, “It ain’t Christ-like,” from the song “Follow God,” also by Kanye West.    
Let us seek out the opportunity to rejoice in the Lord, remembering our own conversions, celebrating and encouraging others in their own conversion and continuing to pray for the conversion of others.
Kristen Bourgeois is a wife and mother who grew up in New York and now calls New Orleans home. Kristen was a police detective for 15 years investigating crimes for a local police department. Currently, Kristen is a stay-at-home momma and assists her husband with the youth ministry at St. Jane De Chantal Parish in Abita Springs.
Kristen had a conversion while serving as a detective and seeks to help working parents find peace in the chaos of our daily lives. Hearing God’s voice and finding ways to pray is a passion of Kristen, who loves to discover a new chaplet or prayer app and share the Good News!  Kristen loves adventure, traveling on horse-back, glamping, puppies and watching Phineas and Ferb episodes.

No comments:

Post a Comment