Thursday, January 11, 2018

So it'sOrdinary Time but that doesn't mean slow down time

I wrote last weekend of the incredible busy weekend in our parish life and the many ways we were involved in getting through a feast day, masses, meetings, a funeral, a wedding, and more.  On Monday we did indeed say farewell to the Christmas season with evening prayer which transitioned us into Ordinary Time.  But there is nothing ordinary about this 1st week of the liturgical season of the green.

On Monday night I attended a neighborhood meeting of all things that quickly turned into a mini-parish meeting.  Several folks from church were there and we had an opportunity to visit over various plan for various ministries.  Tuesday night is Bible Study night and this week a conflict arose as a parish family invited us to a clergy dinner.  I was able to get my Bible Study partner to fill in for me while I attended the dinner.  The family hosting us are incredible faith filled people and an integral part of our music ministry.  We had a great visit with good food and wine and even better conversation surrounding our faith and the love we all have for our parish family.

Fast forward to Wednesday night and my return to Rayburn Correctional after a 2 month absence due to medical complications.  The men greeted me like the Father welcoming the Prodigal Son.  The men even presented me with a beautiful glass cross with an inscription thanking me for doing God's work.  I should be thanking them because their faith and for some their conversion is also doing God's work.  We had confessions, a beautiful Mass with over 60 men receiving the Eucharist, and then we had a Baptism.  Yes, one of our men, after attending services and classes was welcomed into the Church through the Holy Sacrament of Baptism.  It was another grace filled, God moments night behind bars and barbed wire!  All to give praise and worship to God!

Tonight I attended our Knight of Columbus meeting to pray a Rosary, to hear a talk from our Pastor and to attend to business, share a meal and fellowship.

Notice I mention that all these things happened in the evening, remember this Deacon works a full time job as a bank officer.  Still, I also had time to work on one wedding and two baptisms that will be coming up soon.  And I still have some planning and research going on for more Bible study classes.

So it's a fast start to the New Year and an extraordinary time for Ordinary Time!

No comments:

Post a Comment