Tuesday, November 18, 2014

A new Archbishop for Chicago; here is his homily from today's installation Mass

"Come, Take the Risk of Being More" – For Cupich's Chicago, A Vision of Francis' Church



HOMILY OF THE MOST REVEREND BLASE JOSEPH CUPICH
NINTH ARCHBISHOP OF CHICAGO
MASS OF INSTALLATION
HOLY NAME CATHEDRAL
18 NOVEMBER 2014

Bienvenido, Witam, Mabuhay, Dobro došli, Welcome

I am delighted and honored to be your archbishop.

So many of you in this cathedral today have come - from near and so very far - friends and family, brother bishops and priests, religious, lay women and men. Former parishioners and pastors from Omaha, Rapid City, Spokane have joined us as well. Your being here consoles me with the hope that our friendships will continue to endure in the years ahead. Last night, I had a chance to welcome my brother bishops, and now I am pleased to greet our papal nuncio, Archbishop Viganò. We all know how demanding your schedule is, Archbishop, and so we offer our thanks to you, not only for being with us today, but for all you do to so ably represent Pope Francis, our Holy Father, who is well-loved and who makes us proud.

When it came to selecting a date for the installation, November 18 seemed to be a great fit. The Commemoration of the Dedication of the Basilicas of Saints Peter and Paul gives me a chance to recognize all immigrants, as I recall my own immigrant grandparents who helped establish my home parish of Saints Peter and Paul in Omaha. Additionally, the Church’s calendar today celebrates St. Philippine Duchesne, someone the Native People honored with the name Woman Who Prays Always. She reminds us of the extraordinary contribution women religious have made and continue to make to the church and society. I intend to honor and give thanks for all these people today, especially for family and immigrants, Native Americans and religious sisters – all of whom have shaped so much of our faith, our lives and our Church ministries.

But I have to admit, I had a bit of a panic attack when I saw the Gospel provided in the Lectionary for this day, which we have just heard. I realize this new responsibility is going to be demanding, but seriously folks, I don’t do “walking on water.” I can barely swim. So I hope this image in today’s Gospel is not reflective of anyone’s expectations.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment