Monday, April 12, 2010

Talking with the young folks

Tonight I had the blessed opportunity to be with about 20 students at the 10th grade level. Not in a classroom, we all gathered inside our Church for an evening of Adoration and Benediction and reflection for these 15 to 17 year olds. I knew this would be tough. It was a beautiful spring evening, it was the first day back to CCD in 2 weeks and many of the teens are just not very convicted in their faith life.

We have been doing a program of Adoration and Benediction for quite some time and have tried as best as possible to explain the real presence and to help them see Jesus, truly present in the Blessed Sacrament.

The Gospel message from yesterday, the figure of the doubting Thomas, was very helpful. Explaining how Thomas needed to see Jesus we can relate that many in our day want to see Him too. I explained to the teens that with eyes of faith and a belief in what the Church teaches, they were seeing Him right now, with their very eyes.

But then I was moved to turn the tables slightly and ask them if others see Jesus in them. Do others really see Jesus in the way they(we) talk, act, treat others, approach our responsibilities, keep our lives pure, conduct ourselves with others? I think this registered. There was a heightened sense of I have to do something too!

I was also moved to bring Jesus, secure in the monstrance, to each child, pew by pew, so they could see closely and experience the Benediction just an arms length away.

We never truly know how we reach others. And of course tonight, we are not in charge. My prayer is always that Jesus and the Holy Spirit reach these kids. And I know with all things; Jesus is in control. That is why I always like to quote the 11th chapter of Hebrews: Jesus Christ, the same yesterday, today and forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment