Friday, April 16, 2010

A little clergy appreciation

Tonight I attended a clergy appreciation dinner in Covington, LA hosted by a local Knights of Columbus Council. I've been a Knight a lot longer than I've been clergy so I find this evening fulfilling on several levels. The Knights of Columbus have long been fierce supporters of the clergy and certainly need to be so now more than ever. And all the clergy that I got to rub elbows with tonight I have known for quite some time. Without a doubt; no hint of scandal among these loyal dedicated servants of God.

Sometimes when I attend these events it's hard for me to realize that I am clergy. Yes, for some of you reading this let me remind you that Deacons, whether Permanent (like me) or Transitional (on the way to the Priesthood) are in fact clergy!

Tonight these local Knights honored many dedicated religious brothers who have taught at St. Paul High School, also in Covington, faithfully. And many nuns, who teach at several local grammer and high schools as well. Then there were the Benedictine brothers and Priests, including their Abbott, who help form many young men, some as young as 17, in discerning the call to the Priesthood. They too have served faithfully in this area for over 100 years as a religious community. Tonight they were very excited to introduce a monk who will be ordained tomorrow as a Transitional Deacon with the Priestly ordination in December. And they also had several young men who have professed their call to the Priesthood, one for the Archdiocese and another for the Benedictines.

All in all what a refreshing evening. Men and women called to serve young people, called to help them with their walk with God, selfless and total giving and love and not a hint or whimper of scandal.

I know we have heard enough reports of heinous crimes that make us all sad and wounded as Catholics. But tonight I had a sharp reminder that the vast majority of Priests, Deacons, Brothers and Sisters are faithful to God's call, the teachings of the Church and would never harm another human being.

Thanks Be to God for their witness.

I was one of six Permanent Deacons, along with a candidate, in attendance tonight. It is always a privilege to be with brother Deacons. May we continue to answer God's call, to work as ministers of charity and service and proclaim His word clearly and boldly.

I love the Catholic Church and her ministry. Amen

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the support and prayers! God bless your ministry and family!

    ReplyDelete