Saturday, August 12, 2023

My testimony and tribute: St. Jane de Chantal Catholic Church & Parish, Abita Springs, Louisiana

 The move my family made to Abita Springs in January 1996 was life-changing in many ways.  Wendy and I and the kids had never lived anywhere but the Westbank of New Orleans.  Wendy sensed we needed change, for both obvious and very personal reasons.  Getting away from personal drama and city-type life was change enough, not to mention moving from a postage stamp lot to 10 acres of country living.  The move was coupled with good career advancements, and everything was wonderful.  Still, I have not yet identified the true reason this move changed our lives.  

When we moved, we had become casually Catholic, in part because our home parish experiences were less than inspiring and mostly because we never let ourselves become part of a strong Catholic sense of community.  Upon arriving in Abita Springs, I was immediately drawn to that unique structure in the middle of town that I instinctively knew was a Catholic church.  I did not know the name until I drew near that beautiful building and then I had to deal with the fact that, despite being Catholic all my life, I never heard of St. Jane de Chantal.  Never.  At first, we were cautious about approaching more intimately until one Saturday afternoon I told my family that tonight we were going to Mass together, Mass at St. Jane de Chantal.  Back then, Saturday vigil was at 7 pm, not sure why but it made it easy to retire to the Abita Brew Pub for a late Saturday meal after Mass.  This would become our routine for several months.  What about Mass?  It was like I entered into a piece of Heaven, which I now understand is exactly what Mass is.  The church is warm and cozy and that first night it was full.  The congregation seemed to love to sing and pray robustly, something unfamiliar to me in my Westbank days.  They had a choir, the lighting on a late winter evening, the congregation, all combined to make me feel like real Catholic worship.  Fr. William. of happy memory, was the presider, and Deacon Frans was assisting.  Deacon Frans is still with us today. I decided to return to confession some weeks later and Fr. William made sure to welcome me "home" after he gave me my penance.  Soon, may of the usual congregation started to ask us if we were new, where we came from, how did we like Abita and St. Jane.  Before we knew it, we were part of the group, but more importantly, we truly found a wonderful place to give glory, praise and worship to God; something we had lacked for quite some time.

As time marched on, we became more and more involved in the parish life of St. Jane de Chantal.  First, I did my due diligence and learned everything I could about good St. Jane.  She was a wife, a mother, a devotee of St. Francis de Sales, holy, charitable and then with de Sales would found the Visitation Order.  How had I not known anything about her?  My daughter enrolled in CCD which, back then, was held in a pre-renovated St. Jane Hall.  I took a class while she was in her class, a video offering led by Ms. Shirley Simpson.  I got to meet many more of my fellow parishioners.  Then I volunteered to teach CCD, became a lector and even an extraordinary minister of Holy Communion and finally, I joined the Knights of Columbus.  In the K of C, I made so many friendships from like-minded men who loved God, the faith and were proud to be part of an organization so committed to the Church.  After becoming friends with Deacon Frans and Deacon Don, also of happy memory, and later Deacon Mark I began to believe I too may be called to the diaconate.  Long story short, after 7 years of discerning and formation classes I was indeed ordained a Deacon in December of 2008 and was formally assigned to St. Jane by Archbishop Hughes.  By now, Fr. Robert Cavalier was our pastor and we had just completed the new Barre Center a few years earlier.

I was asked by the Archbishop to leave St. Jane as a Deacon to serve at Most Holy Trinity.  I obediently obeyed but truly dreaded not being active at St. Jane as I grew to love everything, and everybody affiliated with my home parish.  I remember my last Mass and "going-away" party and how I cried but was comforted in knowing that, despite my assignment, St. Jane was and is my "home" just as Fr. William told me many years prior.  My time at MHT only strengthened my love and appreciation for St. Jane Parish.  In 2015, when Archbishop Aymond approved my return as an assigned Deacon, I was so happy, so glad, even though my experiences at MHT were all wonderful and faith-affirming.  When I returned to St. Jane, I was able to get to know and assist Fr. Ken Allen who is still our pastor today.  By now, we had priest-help, in having Parochial Vicars and enjoyed assisting Fr. Kevin, Fr, Charles and now Fr. Adoga.  Since my return our parish has only grown stronger in faith with the addition of Adult Bible Study, RCIA classes, strong devotions and so much more.  I look forward every month to First Friday and our long-time tradition of Adoration, devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus, Benediction.  I especially love every opportunity to preside at this beautiful devotion.  I wish I knew the exact number of baptisms, weddings, and yes, even funerals, that I have been a part of at St. Jane.  I have loved everything about every liturgy and ceremony that I have experienced at this beautiful church/parish named for St. Jane de Chantal.

One of the reasons I love this parish so is the people of this parish; the many devoted volunteers, those who can always be counted on, the many ministries that contribute to the life of the parish, the parishioners who pray the Rosary every day then meet for coffee after Mass, the Knights, of which I was honored to serve as the 2nd Grand Knight back in the year 2000, and the overall devotion and holiness of the parishioners.  Recently, as you know, I had total knee replacement surgery and have been lifted up by so many prayers, well wishes and meals.  In fact, since my surgery on June 29th, every day I have had a meal provided by parishioners of St. Jane.  To all of you, thanks.  Again, you all affirm my many deep reasons for loving this parish and loving the holy and beloved saint she is named for.  All through the many seasons of her life, as a wife, mother, nun, religious founder, St. Jane put the will of God first and service to others second.  She inspired us all to Live Jesus+ as she so often liked to pray and proclaim; Live Jesus+.  I know there are millions of Catholics across the world that strive to Live Jesus+ but for me and my family, there is no greater place on earth to do just that than St. Jane de Chantal Parish in beautiful downtown Abita Springs, LA.  To God be all the glory for placing me in her midst.  A true turning point in my earthly life that began the chain of events leading to the saving of my eternal life.  

Your will be done gracious Father.  To Jesus, king and center of my life.  Dear St. Jane de Chantal, pray for us and always remind us to Live Jesus+

St. Jane de Chantal Parish, long may you serve the people of God in Abita Springs and surrounding communities.


No comments:

Post a Comment