Wednesday, May 31, 2023

Abbot Justin Brown announces it's time to step down

 






A Statement From Abbot Justin Brown


For nearly 22 years I have had the honor and privilege of serving as Abbot of Saint Joseph Abbey. When I was elected on November 23, 2001, as all abbots of the Swiss-American Benedictine Congregation, I was elected for an indefinite term. It is therefore incumbent upon the abbot to discern the length of his term.

After much prayer and reflection, and in consultation with the monastic community, I believe that for the good of the abbey and me personally, now is the time for new leadership in the monastery.

The Abbot President and Council of the Swiss American Benedictine Congregation have accepted my resignation from the office of Abbot of Saint Joseph Abbey effective July 14, 2023. On that day, the solemnly professed monks of the abbey will elect our next abbot.

I am grateful for the years I have served as abbot, years both challenging and rewarding, but above all, I am humbled by the trust my confreres have placed in me and grateful for God’s grace and blessings, which continue to sustain me and my brother monks in our monastic vocation in service to the Church.

I look forward to new opportunities of service here at the abbey and seminary college.

Please pray for our community as we prepare to elect our next abbot.


No comments:

Post a Comment