Friday, February 24, 2023

I absolutely love Lent, are you participating and prepared?

It happens every year, yet I am always amazed when it happens again.  Of course, I am speaking about the beginning of Lent and the excitement I feel as this holy and penitential season gets underway.  More amazingly I live in southeast Louisiana within the boundaries of the Archdiocese of New Orleans.  Everyone else is all worked up about the last days of Carnival culminating with Fat Tuesday, aka, Mardi Gras.  Not me.  By the time the Carnival season begins to peak with all the parades and other craziness I'm already focused on Lent.  It's not that I am holier than others, although I am always a work in progress, no, I simply love everything about Lent.  Ash Wednesday always amazes me as the desire to receive ashes clearly outpaces the desire to faithfully and frequently attend Mass.  In fact, this past Wednesday my little/not so little parish decided to offer a Liturgy of the Word service at 12 noon, in addition to the 3 Masses of this first day of Lent.  I was the only clergy at this Liturgy of the Word and how surprised, although pleasantly, that I was greeted by a crowd similar to the Christmas vigil.  Not that numbers alone are important, but I estimated that I distributed ashes to over 350 foreheads, all by myself.  It's ok, it was quite a blessing for me.  Our masses were also well attended, packed at both 8 am and 7 pm and a nice turnout even at our mission church.  

Now that we arrive at the first Friday of Lent, we begin the prayerful devotion of the Stations of the Cross.  We pray the Stations in the evening, but other Catholic churches may pray them in the morning or afternoon.  I'm usually privileged to lead the Stations and am looking forward to this evening.  I find this prayer very powerful and truly reflective of Christ's journey to the Cross.  As Catholics, we strive to do penance during Lent, to make a good confession, or two or three, and to pray, fast and give alms.  The Gospel we read every Ash Wednesday is the teaching of Jesus on not only prayer, fasting and almsgiving, but the proper way to do so to be pleasing to the Father.

During Lent, many Catholic parishes host Lenten Missions, retreats or special days/evenings of prayer and reflection.  In my home parish we will be offering a Mission on March 8-9-10 and will also have a special healing Mass.  Also, during this holy season, we bring forth our new catechumens and candidates, those who will be fully initiated in the Church on the Easter Vigil.  We currently have 4 preparing to receive full Sacraments of Initiation including one catechumen, who will receive Baptism, Eucharist and Confirmation.

All of Lent builds toward the coming Easter Feast as we pass milestones like Palm Sunday, the Triduum consisting of Holy Thursday, Good Friday and Holy Saturday.  All of this brings me great spiritual happiness and holiness and prepares me for the great Easter feast.

So Mardi Gras is behind us, Lent is upon us as we look forward to Easter.  May this be for all of us, a specially faith-filled Lent.

No comments:

Post a Comment