Saturday, February 4, 2023

After surviving 5 months of captivity, Sr. Suellen speaks to consecrated in New Orleans

 

Sister Suellen: During captivity, God called me to be 'peacefully patient'





By Peter Finney Jr.
Clarion Herald


A stunning surprise awaited the 120 women and men religious of the Archdiocese of New Orleans who attended the annual prayer service for the Catholic Church’s World Day for Consecrated Life.

For the first time since she was released in late August from five-months’ captivity in Burkina Faso, West Africa, Marianite Sister Suellen Tennyson joined in public prayer with the religious men and women from the archdiocese who had prayed so fervently for her release.


Almost no one who attended the prayer service at Schulte Hall on the campus of Notre Dame Seminary knew that Sister Suellen would be in attendance. After gaining her freedom in late August and flying back to the United States, Sister Suellen has spent the last five months regaining her strength, emotionally and physically.

She walked into Schulte Hall 15 minutes before the service, accompanied by several of her fellow Marianite Sisters. 

Mount Carmel Sister Beth Fitzpatrick, vicar for religious in the archdiocese, gave a reflection on how those in consecrated life say “yes” to God every day, and she mentioned Sister Suellen’s faith throughout her captivity.

“Suellen, you are witness to us of the possibility of seeing in the midst of utter darkness the presence of the God who loved us and continues to call us,” Sister Beth said.

Archbishop Gregory Aymond told the gathering that Sister Suellen’s safe return was “a miracle.”

“I introduce to you a miracle,” Archbishop Aymond said. “The fact that she is with us today, and the fact that she has been released and is living her consecrated life again among us, is truly a miracle. Suellen, you know that we prayed and we prayed and we prayed with many. And, it is a true blessing that you are back with us.”

A transcript of her remarks follows:

“Well, this is an opportunity for me to say a great, big, heartfelt thank you to all of you. When you say it's a miracle, you have to know that you're a part of that miracle. Without your support or your prayers, who knows where I would be? But I'm so grateful to be able to be here.

 “I told someone, ‘This is the first time I'm in front of a big group because I feel very comfortable with you.’ You are my sisters. And right now, I would ask my sisters, my Marianite Sisters, to please stand. They went through a lot with you, and I'm so grateful to all that they went through and accepted and did so beautifully in calling so many people to prayer. It's your prayer for me and your support in prayer for my Sisters that got us all through it.

 “There are a few things that God said to me during my time with these wonderful Muslim people, these Muslim men. They could not have been kinder to me and could not have treated me with more respect.

 “I knew from the very beginning, when that Muslim man washed my feet, it said something to me. God said to me at that moment, ‘Suellen, be at peace. I am with you. Something is happening here.’ Another time God said very clearly to me – and in this tone – ‘Now, Suellen, stop feeling sorry for yourself! This is not all about you. I am working in the lives of other people.’

“So, OK. I feel certain that God worked in the lives of many people because of this. Just the power of prayer is awesome. I still can't comprehend that. The power of people united around the world praying is an awesome, humbling experience.

 The other thing that God said, to me very clearly, is, ‘Now  Suellen, you've always trusted in divine providence, but usually you look in the past and say, “Oh, look what God did that helped in this situation?”’ God said to me, ‘You trust in my divine providence, but I want you to trust in it now – at this moment – not looking in the past.’ 

“And another thing God said to me is, ‘Now Suellen, you just have to be peacefully patient. I'm working. I'm working. But not in your time.’

“So (I said to God), ‘But I’m tired. I want to go home. I'm lonesome. I miss my sisters. I miss my family.’ 

“‘Suellen, be peacefully patient.’

“And so many times, that's what we have to be – peacefully patient.

 “One other thing. Again, I was feeling God had abandoned me, and God said, ‘Suellen, I have always loved you. I have called you. I have loved you with an everlasting love. Again, be peacefully very patient. I am with you.’ 

“So from my heart, I say thank you for all of the prayers. You were part of this miracle.

“Something happened between a Catholic nun and these Muslims. We became friends – really became friends. So again, God is working in some strange and mysterious way. That experience of peace I hope can spread throughout the world. 

“So once again, thank you, thank you for your prayers for me and for your prayerful support of my community during this time. 

“Archbishop Greg and Beth, thank you for all of your prayers. I know you were there with me all along. Thank you.

“Many blessings to all of you. May we all be peacefully patient.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment