Sunday, February 21, 2021

A moment to reflect and update my friends, parishioners and readers

 We are rapidly approaching March but we have just journeyed through a very cold and winter-like week.  It's happened before but we don't do it well and quite frankly, we could do without it.  While we never approached the hardships as evidenced in Texas, it still was a time of watch and worry.  When we have very cold weather down here, I fret the most about water.  If electricity goes out or the pump on my well freezes, it's quite unnerving.  Fortunately, none of this happened to me at the old place here in the Abita country-side.  By the way, on January 25th Wendy and I celebrated our 25th anniversary of living in this most beautiful part of Louisiana, a totally different world than the mere 50 miles away where we lived most of our life.

I feel compelled to discuss again my transition in life from a long-term, full time banker who had hoped to be in that position until March 4, 2022, my 65th birthday.  At that time I fully intended to retire and move on but banking evil entered my life on November 6, 2020 and I found myself out of work and so disappointed in what transpired.  Since that November day I have adjusted and adapted although I want to be clear, my financial future is still in flux.  I do love the PT work I do for my church parish and am thankful for all those who helped make this possible.  It does help and it puts me all day working on things that help our parish, doing God's work, as opposed to the pure evil I had to encounter at the last bank I was stuck working for.  I love being able to attend to people's needs and meeting them where they are at; planning a baptism or a wedding, even a family funeral; I love planning our devotions and liturgies and working on the amazing number of church/parish reports and finances.  It is a joy to work there; yet, it is part-time.  My game plan remains to continue to seek disability income, or, if I must, I could start drawing my SS retirement once I turn 64 in two weeks.  For now, I am happy to be making things work, very thankful for my new health insurance which really makes a difference and being present to the things that matter most: the work of God here on earth.

Having navigating the past few months and watching time fly we arrived last week at Mardi Gras, although it was freezing and so adversely impacted by Covid19, now we have entered the graced-filled and most important season of Lent.  On Ash Wednesday I assisted at Mass and got the hang of distributing ashes by sprinkling on top of the head; a new way of distribution aimed at reducing any risks of spreading the virus.  Later that night I presided at a Liturgy of the Word, also known as a Communion Service, and was pleasantly surprised at the turnout at church.  It was probably the largest crowd I've witnessed in our church building since before the March 2020 lockdown.  It was humbling to distribute ashes to well over 250 worshippers.  It may have also been the first time I delivered a homily as a Deacon on Ash Wednesday.

On Thursday I assisted at the funeral Mass of one of our dearest and longtime parishioners.  It was a beautiful funeral liturgy.  In the past I often just had to miss such funerals or pay the price from my former employer if I some how managed to attend.  I was happy to be there to pay proper respects and assist at this lovely parishioners funeral.  Friday brought the first Friday of Lent so there was Mass, fish fry dinners and Stations of the Cross.  Again, the attendance at these events was robust.  In fact the Knights of Columbus served over 500+ dinners.  I love offering the Stations of the Cross, a beautiful prayer that has it's own rhythm and deep devotion.  We pray at every Station: we adore thee O Christ and we praise thee, because by your holy Cross, you have redeemed the world.  Our Lenten journey is now well underway.

In many ways this Lent seemed like the Lent inside a year-long Lent.  It was approximately March 12-15 last year that the Church suffered terrible impacts because we did not know or understand this Coronavirus.  Our churches were literally shut down, we had no one in attendance for the end of Lent, the Triduum and even Easter Sunday.  Soon, we would be allowed to let 10 parishioners in to church, then 25 and slowly larger numbers as the year went on.  Big events like the St. Joseph Altar and more were cancelled.  Everything from funerals to first Holy Communions to even weddings was impacted.  Still, the faithful have forged forward; watching Mass on live stream, praying Spiritual Communions, offering up devotions from home and then now, returning, ever cautiously to church.  

I am hopeful that more and more will come home to Mass.  For our part, we continue to take precautions and feel like we have room for many more to come home.  We understand so much more now, our parishioners understand why we wear masks, we disinfect the church between events, and we take precautions even when distributing Holy Communion.  While I say come home, do remember that if you are sick, feeling bad, have possibly been exposed, then stay home.  The Church has always said that missing Mass, if sick or impacted in any way, is ok.  

So now we move into week 2 of Lent and guess what?  No chance of freezing weather.  This week will actually feel more like a normal end of February for the deep south.  For my part, I keep on moving on; my hope lies ahead of me and whatever works out financially will work out.  And if you need me any day during the week, look for me at St. Jane de Chantal parish where I am both Deacon and working hard with our wonderful staff.  I so want to acknowledge the many prayers, and good wishes since my life changed so unexpectedly in November.  Tonight, as I finish this update I can honestly tell you that on a Sunday night, I'm really looking forward to Monday; yep, really I am.  And that feels so much better than just tolerating Mondays like I used to do.

Keep the faith everyone and sincerely, if I can be of help in any way, please be in touch.  And thanks for reading the abitadeacon here on blogger.

No comments:

Post a Comment