Saturday, March 17, 2018

Homily 5th Sunday of Lent

I delivered this homily 3 years ago; a few things have changed; there is no more David Letterman Show and now the Church is preparing for the canonization of Archbishop Oscar Romero.  The core message is still there, 3 years later; we must become a grain of wheat, we must accept suffering, we must die to self and serve God by serving others:



Numerous broken bones throughout his body, 30 in just his right arm.  Shrapnel in both legs.  Both eardrums ruptured.  His carotid artery punctured, his right lung collapsed.  His jaw was obliterated and he lost the vision in his right eye.  He flat-lined three times.  He endured over 40 surgeries and 3 years in the hospital.  He is Cpl. Kyle Carpenter, the youngest living Medal of Honor recipient; a highly decorated Marine.  In 2010, Cpl. Carpenter suffered these debilitating injuries when he literally threw himself in front of a live grenade to save the life of a fellow Marine.  When he appeared recently on the David Letterman show, and the list of his injuries was read, he responded: "I am an overachiever".  His bravery is truly inspiring, his sense of humor endearing.

35 years ago, an Archbishop in a war torn country visited a hospital to offer Mass and preach on this very Gospel we heard proclaimed today.  This Archbishop had endured much suffering because he actively opposed the civil war raging in his country and the social injustice visited upon the poorest and the weakest of his people.  Despite many warnings from the government to cease his opposition, he persevered, in obedience to the Gospel.  He said these words: "that we may give our body and our blood to suffering and to pain --- like Christ, not for self, but to bring about justice and peace for our people.
Let us join together, then, intimately in faith and hope at this moment of prayer"  His words stopped right there because at that very moment a gunmen burst into the chapel and gunned down Archbishop Oscar Romero.  He gave his life for social justice, the poor and the marginalized.  He gave his life for the Gospel and obedience to the Father.  Pope Francis recently announced that Archbishop Romero will be beatified on May 23rd, one step closer to Sainthood.


In both Cpl. Kyle Carpenter and Archbishop Oscar Romero we have extraordinary examples of living out the messages proclaimed in today's readings.  In both of these men, we have extraordinary examples of obedience, faithfulness and concern for others, sacrificing self for the good of the other.

"Son though he was, he learned obedience from what he suffered, and when he was made perfect, he became the source of eternal salvation for all who obey him."  These words from Hebrews are words of great hope and words that we would do well to know and to live.  Suffering is something that none of us will escape.  Like Cpl. Carpenter and Archbishop Romero, we too will suffer.  In my ministry, many share with me their suffering, from illness, the loss of a loved one, being bullied,  financial concerns, maybe even struggles with faith.  Yet in each of these instances, I hear hope, I hear trust and I hear a desire to be obedient to God's perfect plan.

How can we be faithful, how can we learn obedience, how can we be a people of hope and joy in a world of suffering?  We must become a grain of wheat.  That grain of wheat, Jesus tells us, must fall to the ground and die and produce much fruit.  Yes, we are called over and over again to die to self, to preserve our lives for eternal life, to serve Him and follow Him.  If we can persevere in obedience and faithfulness, listen to His promise: "where I am, there also my servant will be.  The Father will honor whoever serves me." 

There is so much hope, so much promise in today's readings but perhaps someone is hearing this and saying, how can I possibly do this?  How can I really obey Him?  How can I stay hopeful when confronted by suffering?  All good and proper questions.  Since Jesus suffered, and He suffered for us, he can sympathize with us in times of pain and hurting.  Turn to Jesus in prayer, deep intimate prayer, and ask Him to take on your pain as we offer our pain to Him.  When we struggle with obedience and faithfulness, we can turn to the words of Psalm 51, also heard today: "Have mercy on me God in your goodness, in your compassion wipe out my offense."

In the week ahead I plan to do the following as part of my Lenten journey.  I plan to read the entire homily of Archbishop Oscar Romero about that grain of wheat; his final words ever spoken before giving his all for Christ.  I also plan to read about the heroic witness of Cpl. Kyle Carpenter, who gave his body so another would not die.  I will ask myself, can I be more like Archbishop Romero and Cpl. Carpenter?  And I will pray Psalm 51, in it's entirety, at least one morning this week.  And every morning this week, as I rise to face another day I will ask God to create a new heart in me, a heart that will die to self and live to serve Jesus by serving one another.  Will you consider joining me?

If we have died with him, then we shall live with him, if we hold firm we will reign with him.  Unless a grain of wheat shall fall upon the ground and die, it remains but a single grain with no life, with no life.

No comments:

Post a Comment