Saturday, December 2, 2017

Update as recovery continues to progress

It has   been a week since my last overall update post appendix removal.  I guess the increased normalcy has resulted in busy-normal and I just forgot to update.  Last weekend I was regaling you with my Saturday Baptism and Sunday Mass assignment; I did limit myself to assisting at one Mass only.  On Monday I was still out of work but did venture out in the evening to have dinner with one of our parishioners who is moving away for career opportunities.  He had just completed a year of diaconate inquiry and was about to be accepted into the program but life collided.  Meeting him and his family for dinner was a good thing to do and it also afforded me my first opportunity to drive since the surgery.  We were also joined by Fr. Charles.  We wished our friends Godspeed and before I knew it Tuesday dawned and time to remove my surgical staples an get clearance to return to work.

My local surgeon made quick business of staple removal and gladly gave me a release to return to work that very day.  So Tuesday November 28 was day one back to work since Thursday November 9th.  Of course the first order of business was to thank my staff for a great job while I was gone and then retreat to read through 175 new e-mails.  Since I always like to overdo things that first day of work also would be my first day back to the parish Bible study.  I was able to make it happen and we met that night to study Acts chapter 10.  I will admit, Tuesday night when I arrived home, I was incredibly tired.  I was also getting used to the staples being gone.  I did it again Wednesday when I put in a fuller day of work followed by the celebration of Confirmation at St. Jane's!  How could I not attend this important event; our Archbishop was the celebrant/presider and I was asked to read the Gospel and Prayer Intentions.  I was concerned that I might get too tired through the Mass but all went well.  Of course we were able to witness the Sacrament of Confirmation for 20 young adult parishioners.  But again, I returned home extremely tired.  Thursday would be an opportunity to relax a bit; even though I worked all morning and had a business meeting that afternoon, the meeting ended at four, I had no plans for the evening and went home and really truly rested.

Friday was a crazy day that truly proved to be much to much for me.  It was a long 9 hour plus work day and then I traveled to our mission church to offer 1st Friday Benediction for our parishioners at St. Michael's.  When all was done in Bush, I doubled back to Mandeville for the bank Christmas party.  Even before I walked in I was already exhausted.  But I did my duty, showed my face and enjoyed the company of several co-workers.

All this time I'm healing just fine; the area where the staples were are healing normally and I am experiencing no ill side effects.  So I awake to start Saturday by going to work for a 4 hour shift, return home to polish a homily then attend mass and deliver said homily at the vigil Mass for this 1st Sunday of Advent.  Tonight, I am resting and watching lots of college football.

I know many might think I could be overdoing things but I am thrilled at how I feel and that returning to both work and active ministry has gone so well.  After all it is Advent season.

Thanks for all your prayers; the abitadeacon is truly on the mend and getting things done!

No comments:

Post a Comment