Saturday, August 5, 2017

Another typical Deacon week

The week begun on Sunday with my visit to world famous St. Louis Cathedral assisting the morning Mass presided over by Archbishop Aymond.  I also had the opportunity at that Mass to visit with the 4 deacon candidates in attendance and encourage them as they approach the institution of Acolyte this week.  At the Mass I ran into our newlywed parishioners David & Rachel so I made sure to introduce them to Archbishop Aymond!  After Mass, Wendy and I enjoyed a great Sunday afternoon lunch at Trey Yuen in Mandeville.  Yep, I could not wait to get out of the FQ and return to the Northshore!

Sunday night; like old faithful, I returned to St. Jane for the 6 pm Mass and Benediction which occurs right before we begin the Mass.

Just a reminder, as a Permanent Deacon, I am one of many who continue to work a secular job.  So there is no rest for an active Deacon who also has to punch the clock.  Monday morning, I was right where I'm supposed to be.  But it was a busy "Deacon" week.  Tuesday night our parish hosted the final talk of a series of talks given by Notre Dame Seminary professors.  Doctor Tom Neal gave a presentation on "Heaven on Earth" to a packed church.  I was happy to be present.  The following evening I gladly met a parishioner who is inquiring to be included in the next class of potential Permanent Deacons.  I find that any opportunity we Deacons can give to assist those who feel a vocational call to the diaconate is an opportunity to shine a light on this ministry and hopefully assist them on their journey.  It was a very nice evening.

Last night I presided at our 1st Friday Benediction as we recite the Litany of the Sacred Heart and I offered a brief reflection on the Blessed Sacrament and some of the great teachings on the Eucharist by St. John Vianney, whose feast day we celebrated on this same first Friday.

And tonight, after a Saturday of work and afternoon rest, I prepare to assist at two Sunday Masses.  It's been a good week!


No comments:

Post a Comment