Monday, September 12, 2016

A great week to be Catholic and a Permanent Deacon too

Well, every week is a great week to be a Catholic and for me, since December 13, 2008, everyday I am privileged to be of service, diakonis, in my office as a Catholic Deacon.  Today, as I transition from being on vacation celebrating in person with my grandchildren to preparing to get back into my routine, my groove, I was reflecting on the exciting days and beyond to come.

As Catholics here in the Archdiocese of New Orleans we have two events this week of particular note.  Wednesday evening, the 14th of September, the Feast Day of the Holy Cross, all churches are offering an evening of reconciliation.  No matter how long it's been or the reasons why, everyone is invited to take advantage of this evening to return to confession.  And in this Jubilee Year of Mercy, it would indeed be a great thing to do.  I suggest you check with each parish for the times they plan to hold reconciliation as they may vary slightly from parish to parish.  Then on Thursday night, September 15th our Archbishop Emeritus Alfred Hughes will be here on the Northshore at the beautiful new church building of Most Holy Trinity Parish(my previously assigned parish) for a wonderful talk on the Saints of New Orleans, focusing on the life and holiness of Blessed Francis Xavier Seelos, Saint Katharine Drexel, Saint Mother Cabrini and Venerable Henriette DeLille.  This will occur at 7 PM. 

In my capacity as a Permanent Deacon I have to learn to get back in the swing of things after vacations.  Now this does not imply that I am not a Permanent Deacon while on vacation and can't function accordingly, it's just not in what most folks would consider formal ministry; assigned stuff.  So while I had no assigned stuff the last 8 days or so, I will try and make up for that in these coming days.  Tomorrow night I will be back leading Adult Bible Study for our 4th week of a 6 month long study of the Gospel of Matthew.  Our first two sessions were awesome and then last week I was not present so ready to be back facilitating this week.  We will plumb the depths of Chapter 3.  Wednesday night I return to Rayburn Correctional for my regular visit.  Chances are I will be leading a Communion Service as most of the Priests from across the Archdiocese will be in the confessional.  On Thursday evening I will attend the aforementioned talk by Archbishop Hughes.  All the while I need to be finishing up preparation for a homily this weekend!  Preaching twice at times to be determined shortly.

And of course this week I also get back into the groove at work and everyday family life which this week brings the birthdays of both my daughter and her husband, their first birthdays since the wedding of the century back in April.

Yes, it will be a busy week; a great week, another great week to be Catholic!

No comments:

Post a Comment