Friday, March 25, 2016

Good Friday is also Day 60 with the Baltimore Catechism

 
 
 

What are the three theological virtues? The three theological virtues are faith, hope, and charity.

So there abide faith, hope, and charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity. (I Corinthians 13:13)

What is faith? Faith is the virtue by which we firmly believe all the truths God has revealed, on the word of God revealing them, who can neither deceive nor be deceived.

Blessed are they who have not seen, and yet have believed. (John 20:29)

What is hope? Hope is the virtue by which we firmly trust that God, who is all-powerful and faithful to His promises, will in His mercy give us eternal happiness and the means to obtain it.

But hope that is seen is not hope. For how can a man hope for what he sees? But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait for it with patience. (Romans 8:24-25)

What is charity? Charity is the virtue by which we love God above all things for His own sake, and our neighbor as ourselves for the love of God.

If I should speak with the tongues of men and angels, but do not have charity, I have become as a sounding brass or a tinkling cymbal. And if I have prophecy and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith so as to remove mountains, yet do not have charity, I am nothing. (I Corinthians 13:1-2)

No comments:

Post a Comment