Saturday, February 6, 2016

3 years ago this Homily both ushered in the 5th Sunday of Ordinary Time and the weekend before Lent; so here it is today

Homily for 5th Sunday in Ordinary Time
Whenever you call me, I'll be there.  Whenever you want me, I'll be there.  Whenever you need me I'll be there; I'll be around.  The Spinners sang this classic in the early seventies and it sounds like they were ready to answer the call.

We all know people just like this; the one's who answer the call no matter what.  Of course the opposite may be true too as we know those who never answer the call.  What about us?  Would people think of us as a go to person, one that answers the call?  Hopefully we are not the type to sit on the sidelines and ignore those calls, but unfortunately, there are those who just won't answer the call.

As people of faith, when God calls do we answer Him?  And when we do is our response, here I am, send me?

On this last Sunday before we enter the Lenten season we have much to consider in both what these readings are saying to us and in the examples the readings gives to us in Isaiah, Paul and Peter.  Our Old Testament prophet Isaiah saw a great vision of God and he immediately declared himself doomed.  Remember we hear Isaiah declare woe is me because as a sinner he has seen the Lord?  Yet the Lord sends an angel to touch his lips with a hot ember to purge his sin.  And the Lord could be heard: whom should I send?  Who will go for us?  Without hesitation Isaiah responds: Here I am, send me!  Isaiah's response is one of being filled with great faith and confidence.  When we hear the Lord calling us, seeking one to do His bidding, His will; do we respond "send me"?  Are our responses to the Lord filled with great faith and confidence?

St. Paul, in writing to the Corinthians seems to be having his own woe is me moment.  St. Paul refers to himself as one born abnormally, the least of the Apostles, not even fit to be called an Apostle.  Why?  As he tells us, he in fact persecuted the Church.  But God has selected him to be a great defender of the Church, to spread the Church's message to the Gentile peoples.  St. Paul reminds us that by God's gift of grace, Ï am what I am."

Then we have Peter the fisherman in today's Gospel.  We must remember that Peter is the go-to fisherman of the village.  He is a professional.  When Peter fishes, he catches fish.  Today he does not, until Jesus challenges him to put out into deep water.  Despite his professional opinion, Peter relents and does what Jesus asks.  Peter catches so much fish that not one but two boats almost sink under the weight of these fish.  That's amazing!  And Peter too has his woe is me moment.  Depart from me Lord, I am a sinner.  Overwhelmed at this miracle, overwhelmed by Jesus, Peter regroups and, along with James and John, two professional fishermen as well, they immediately leave everything and follow him.

Can you and I be imitators of these great examples.  Isaiah, Paul and Peter all declared their unworthiness but answered the call.  All three of these great men, despite their own inhibitions, despite their own weaknesses, despite their own woe is me moments; all of them surrendered to the will of Jesus Christ and answered the call.  More than just answer the call, by their example and their very lives, they declared, send me!

For you and me, the week ahead will bring great challenges.  We will wrap up our Mardi Gras celebrations and arrive at Ash Wednesday.  In our celebration of all things Mardi Gras, pause for just a moment and ask this question: does all that I do, even celebrating a holiday so hijacked by the secular world, in all that I do does my example give glory to God?  I guess this is the Deacon's way to remind us that we surely can celebrate Mardi Gras, but keep it classy.  Keep it in context.  Remember, that even Mardi Gras is Catholic in it's roots and should be something we understand as another opportunity to give God the glory!  Then we arrive at Ash Wednesday and the great season of Lent.  This is another wonderful gift of the Church; an opportunity if you will, to answer God's call and say here I am send me!  During this Lent, as we focus sharply as like a laser, will our example give glory to God and encourage others along the way?  Whether we will be giving up something as a sacrifice or doing greater acts of charity, do so with joy and as a positive response to God's call.  Make an attempt to experience Lent within the parish family.  Be present for one of our Ash Wednesday Masses!  Take your family meal this Friday from the fish fry here and support the charitable work of our Knights of Columbus.  And make an effort, yes, a real effort to attend Stations of the Cross, right here in the Church at approximately this Friday evening and every Friday throughout Lent.  Finally, some of us here today may be hearing God's invitation to attend daily Mass during Lent.  Please remember that daily Mass will now be at 8 a.m. beginning Ash Wednesday and all Lent long!

God is calling, will we answer here I am send me?

God is calling, will be put out in the deep?

God is calling, we will answer him: whenever you call me I'll be there.  Whenever you want me I'll be there.  Whenever you need me, I'll be there; I'll be around!

No comments:

Post a Comment