Sunday, November 29, 2015

Attending the Mass in the Extraordinary Form upon it's arrival at St. Jane's in Abita Springs

Please know up front the following are my casual observations from participating today in the 1st Mass at St. Jane's in the Extraordinary Form as part of a new permanent schedule.  Do know that I have been to a few of these masses recently in Lacombe and have watched many of them recently on videos to "brush up".  Also know that as a Permanent Deacon I do not feel qualified to do much more than help distribute Holy Communion although I don't think I own the proper vestments??

Today an impressive congregation gathered for Mass in the Extraordinary Form; I would guess near 300.  Understand that the core of this group is made up of folks who have worshipped in the EF wherever it was offered.  Joining that core group today were quite a few parishioners from St. Jane's.  Now let me be clear here; since our Pastor has agreed to take the EF Mass on as a regularly scheduled liturgy he has asked all who were in attendance today to consider joining our parish.  After all, because of this extraordinary commitment, these folks will be coming to Mass at St. Jane's because it is the only regular EF option in these parts of the Archdiocese. 

Beside the size of those in attendance other casual observations included the number of families with young, even small children, and the overall dress code of those worshipping.  Both of these observations are impressive to me.  Our Pastor, Fr. Ken Allen, has worked hard, almost tirelessly, to be prepared to offer this liturgy.  From the casual observation of this Permanent Deacon, I'd say all his hard work paid off.  My recollections tonight include beautiful music, chant and prayers offered by the Presider always in chant.  I am still amazed how much of this Mass is said in low tones, almost silence on behalf of the Priest and servers.  I had forgotten that the Gospel of the day is also proclaimed in English and there most definitely is a homily.  Fr. Allen used part of his homily time to welcome everyone and to see in this Extraordinary Form of the Mass a help in difficult and confusing times both in the world and inside the Church.

The celebration of the offertory and canon(I think that means Eucharistic Prayer in the Ordinary Form) is so reverent, almost liturgically beautiful, maybe I could use the word mystical.  There is ample use of incense, ringing of bells, signs of the cross, genuflections.  Impressive in it's precision.
Now I do get the impression, remember these are just my own, that some, not all, never try to keep up with the missal because the action moves fast.  Latin, proclaimed properly, sounds fast, to the untrained, naked English speakers ear.

Fast forward to Holy Communion; in case you do not know this in the EF, everyone receives kneeling, on the tongue, there is no chalice and absolutely no extraordinary ministers of Holy Communion.  Today they had a Deacon available to assist the Priest.  The formula for the Priest/Deacon as they distribute Holy Communion is much more complicated than Body of Christ(Corpus Christi).  I was not aware of that.  Fortunately, small cards can be used by the servers as they assist the Priest or Deacon during Communion.  When Communion is over there is silence, most worshippers never leave their knees in prayer.  The closing rites are easy to follow but as the Mass is declared over, the Priest then must go and read the final Gospel.  This is the same at every Mass in the EF from John 1:1-14.

Let me say this about function/precision, etc.  The young men who serve as altar servers are incredible.  Dare I say they know the Mass far greater than most of us in attendance.  The choir sings/chants beautifully.  The volunteers who serve as ushers, etc. know what to do and never draw attention to themselves.  And in the EF there is no parade of lay readers, gift bearers, and EM's.  That's not a criticism; this is just an observation and a compare and contrast with the OF.

After Mass, the attendees who normally worship at the EF and lost their last worship space were so genuinely thankful to St. Jane and our Pastor, Fr. Allen.  For my part, I made sure to welcome everyone I met to our parish and to "welcome home" those St. Jane parishioners who have remained parishioners but have not worshipped with us for years because of their devotion to the EF.

Let me end where I left off in last night's post.  This addition of the EF Mass and the overall change in our Mass schedule is a pastoral labor of love.  Let me explain.  We were made aware of a large group of worshippers with no home, no where to worship in the EF.  Our Pastor stepped up and now they will worship at our lovely, growing parish.  To accommodate this noon Mass, we now have an 8 am and 10 am and 6 pm on Sundays in the vernacular and a 2 pm in Spanish.  Just on Sundays that 5 masses!  And guess what?  The turnout today at all 5 masses was strong.  I've always said this and will say this again: worshipping God and living out our Catholic faith at St. Jane's in Abita is full throated; a generous response to all that God does for us!  Don't forget; we also have the two vigil Masses on Saturday too; one at St. Michael's in Bush and one at St. Jane's in Abita.

So while I did not participate today as a Deacon in the EF I was happy to be an observer/participant/worshipper.  And I support my Pastor's decision to add this Mass to our schedule and I am most happy for all my fellow Catholics who have found in St. Jane's a home.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Deacon: thank you so much for your observations on Holy Mass yesterday at St. Jane's. I cannot speak for everyone there (my family is fairly new to the EF group ourselves), but I felt something special as Mass began yesterday, that I was truly "at home" and part of the parish. I am so grateful for the open arms St. Jane's has extended to me and my family. As you noted, this is no easy undertaking and generally does not gain one popularity with the world! I hope, over the coming weeks, to find ways to incorporate my family into the parish's life a bit more. And I would add (again, not speaking for anyone by myself) that I would greatly welcome your participation in the EF liturgy. Being able to celebrate a Solemn High Mass with deacon and subdeacon seems like a fine long-term goal! Thanks again so much for your kind words, your welcome to newcomers, and for your vocation to the diaconate and the Church. Please be assured of my family's prayers for you and for our new home parish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike,

    Thanks for the glowing review. It was a beautiful Mass in the wonderful venue that is St. Jane's. Thanks, too, for welcoming me "home" and for welcoming the entire Latin Mass community. Look forward to seeing you around the parish.

    ReplyDelete