Sunday, May 3, 2015

A weekend that reminded me, YOU are not in charge

As a Permanent Deacon a lot of ministry occurs on the weekend.  And while this is very true all I can say is my weeknights are pretty amazingly busy too.  But this weekend was a down to earth kind of weekend.  For me, more did not happen than happened and yet I was still pretty busy.

On Friday it was the start of a new month so that means First Friday.  Most of the time this would find me at MHT assisting with Benediction and our 1st Friday night Mass.  This month I drew a bye, a brother Deacon was at the plate.  Thank goodness.  My get out of work early Friday was anything but get out early.  Truth is I would have missed my ministry assignment if it belonged to me because work got in the way.  Sometimes this happens.  This was brought home most tangibly Saturday morning when I had to return to the office.  I could not manage another Saturday off from the bank because I have other big weekend activity, including a prison retreat, coming up later this month.  In any event, my Saturday at work meant that I missed our parish 1st Holy Communion event.  Then it dawned on me, since my ordination as a Deacon and even my time spent as an Acolyte prior to ordination, I had never missed a 1st Holy Communion.  I must admit, this really had me bummed.  I remember writing yesterday in my journal that I found this reality both frustrating and certainly humbling too.  This was my 1st realization that I am not always in charge. 

My assigned Masses this weekend included the Saturday vigil.  After Mass, I briefly attended a meeting of our Seniors Group which we call Holy Mackerels; a light hearted acknowledgement that we still meet for Mass in an old retail store that sold tropical fish and aquariums.  I offered a blessing and some brief remarks.  Then this morning dawned and I had big plans.  I assisted at the 9 AM Mass where we also had our May Crowning of the Blessed Mother for our May devotion.  All the 1st Communion children returned to help wearing their beautiful white gowns and handsome suits.  I stayed for the 11 AM Mass too as we honored all our graduating high school seniors, including the three altar servers who have been serving for many, many years.  This is always a very touching moment and our prayers are always for them to remain strong in their faith once they head off to college.

And then I decided to yield to a large dose of reality.  Today was our Permanent Deacon annual Crawfish Boil.  I have always enjoyed this event and really looked forward to seeing all of my brother Deacons.  I knew too today that time was my enemy.  I decided to forego this event to attend to life at home.  Sadly, the combination of a very heavy rainy season and my work and diaconate commitments has created a jungle like mess spread over my 10 acres.  Yes, I spent my Sunday afternoon not eating crawfish, not visiting with my colleagues, instead I was cutting grass, for hours, in an increasingly hostile sun.  Once again I was reminded that I am not in charge.

My weekend was kind of a microcosm of this weekends Gospel message about Jesus as the vine, all of us as branches.  Jesus reminded us that apart from Him, we can do nothing.  My goodness this is true.  And indeed we need to remember that whatever we do, even if it is not what we want to do at the time, we can do all things if we remain in Jesus.  Yes I wanted to be at 1st Communion, but remaining in Jesus I simply made myself completely present to my work, my co-workers and my clients.  Yes I wanted to eat crawfish with my brothers but remaining on Jesus, I simply did the best I could in getting a much needed task done, even if that task was cutting the grass.

So it was not a bad weekend at all because I still remained in Jesus, and we are called to do that as well.  We would be well served in the days and weeks ahead to remember that without Jesus, we can do nothing.  Remember, we are not in charge!

No comments:

Post a Comment