Sunday, April 26, 2015

Sunday night; what's on your mind?

This is so random but is designed as much to perhaps calm me down as it is to inform.  Do you ever spend Sunday night reflecting on what was and looking forward to what is?  Well I do.  And tonight I'm going to share some of that; like I said, perhaps as a form of therapy for me. 

Good Shepherd Sunday is Vocations Sunday - if your experience was anything like mine you probably heard something today at Mass about vocations and it was focused in on the Priesthood.  Indeed it should be!  We are always praying and hoping and praying some more for more vocations to the Priesthood.  Let's keep this up.  I did hear one inspired homily at yesterday's vigil that focused on the vocation of the married life.  It was awesome.  It served as a reminder to me that the Church should preach vocation often: Priesthood, Diaconate, Religious/Consecrated Life, Marriage, and those who choose to live a single life. 

A retreat for soon to be newly ordained Deacons - These past 5 days, the Formation Class of 2015 attended their pre-Ordination Retreat.  Unlike years past, specifically our 2010 and 2012 classes, I was far removed from this retreat.  A decision was made that no Deacons would be present as this class gathered together to focus on their soon to be new identity.  I have heard from a few of these men via social media and it sounds like a very efficacious retreat.  I sent an email to the class before the retreat began and shared with them that my own pre-Ordination retreat was the most meaningful event I experienced shy of Ordination itself.  Tonight I can only think of praying for each of these men, and their wives, and I am asking you to do the same.

Meeting the family - My wife and I spent a delightful afternoon with our daughter and her boyfriend Mark meeting his parents.  A father's intuition senses their will be more to speak about in this significant chapter in the life of his only daughter!

A Deacon, many times has to work - I sometimes dislike greatly the impression that my job gives many people in the Church.  It goes something like this, you must be a Deacon on the weekend, or your banking career is your real job and the Deacon gig is a side job.  I've also heard that it must be difficult to balance job and ministry.  At a real human level, it is true that balancing is something that must be done.  But ordained a Deacon, having been marked as one receiving Holy Orders, how can I communicate that I am Deacon, 100% of the time, 24/7/365?  In fact, one of the brilliant things about the Permanent Deacon in this age is the opportunity to come from the market place and still witness in the market place.  I pray that all people, especially Catholics, learn more about the Permanent Diaconate and embrace it more fully.

Catholics need to be more Catholic, really they do - Look, I know Facebook and social media in general is not the end all be all authority on anything, especially Catholicism.  Yet, if a sampling of reading articles just today is any indication, way to many Catholics need to learn about humility and obedience and follow the example of Christ in emptying self.  Why do we still have so much doom and gloom among Catholics?  Why do we defy the Holy Spirit and the promises of Christ Himself with our rants?  And why are they some still believing the lies that the train is off the track since Vatican II or since the election of Francis as our Pope?  Fortunately these are misguided thoughts of a precious few however, there must be prayer and outreach to these folks to keep the Body of Christ strong!  Make no mistake, the Church indeed is strong and growing (Christ promises) and will be so with or without the malcontented.  I clearly do not understand where they are coming from but will commit to praying for them!

God strengthens me because it still is who I am not what I do - In the past few days I have been very busy.  In the next few days I will be very busy.  Someone asked me once how do you do all that you do?  You have a job and you meet with folks 3-4 nights a week and your weekends are packed?  And the question did not spur an answer, it caused an epiphany in me.  How does this all happen?  Because God makes a way; because the Holy Spirit is in charge and because I am being faithful to what the grace of Ordination promised.  And I focus not so much on what I do but rather who I am.

I appreciate you - I sincerely admit that in no way do I understand how this blog and blogging in general works.  I do know that somehow, someway, you find yourselves to this page and yes, you read these posts.  I may or may not even know who you are.  Unless you take the time to post a comment, I don't know if this is helpful or you think I am all wet.  Whatever the case may be, I appreciate you and I am happy to pray for you and hope you will consider praying for me!

Good night, God Bless and have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment