Saturday, July 26, 2014

Saturday morning summer time reflections

Sitting in the living room, early on a quiet Saturday morning in this second half of summer with plenty on my mind.  First of all it indeed is summer and up to know, I have not been complaining.  I sure don't want this to jinx me but as summers go down here in the deep south, not too bad so far!  We have actually been a little wetter than recent summers and that does keep the temps down.  And we even had some residual benefits from the recent summer polar vortex, or whatever it really is, that impacted other parts of the country.  While I realize we still have August to endure, June and July were very tolerable.  Now this weekend will be very hot but the week ahead is forecast to be pleasant as summer time goes.


For us in the state of Louisiana, summer is really considered pretty much over when measured by two things:  school and the Saints!  In these parts, school returns around August 7th or 8th.  Yes that is too darn early.  Then again, we free the kids every year around May 20th, again, too darn early.  But school indeed starts up in two weeks and everyone down here will be in school, including the colleges, long before the end of August.  Then there is the Saints.  Oh yes, training camp has already begun and the first pre-season game is just 13 days away.  But for those who think summer is over, they will be reminded not so when they walk outside, especially in August!


Summer is traditionally viewed by many as a time to slow down and relax.  In fact, we all know that summer is the favorite season for vacations and even in our faith tradition, many Priests and Bishops will take an extended retreat in summer months.  For the Deacon, at least this Deacon, summer has been not so slow.  The men I love to minister to and with at the Rayburn Correctional Center are there 24/7, 365.  Since my recovery from April's surgery, I have been able to return to Rayburn on my normal rotation and have also been inside for the summer Kairos reunion.  During this summer, our adult faith program at my parish, MHT, did not take a break and we have been studying Mary in the Scriptures, exploring the fullness of events like the Annunciation, Nativity, Presentation and so much more.  Our group has met weekly all summer long.  Summer, many times, is also the season of weddings and baptisms and this summer I have actually been a little slower, having only 1 wedding event and no baptisms since May.  We do rotate that responsibility at MHT among 3 deacons and our Pastor. 


Events of these past few months have given us much to pray about.  Not that all times and all things are not a time for prayer, lately I've been drawn to events that just demand we storm heaven with prayer.  If you are Christian can you escape the need for prayer in the events in Iraq?  An entire Christian community dare I say existence is being wiped out in Iraq, with the most obvious example being the region around Mosul.  Christians have basically two options there, run for your life or die, unless, of course, you renounce Christ and profess radical Islam.  Then there is the dire situation in Israel and Gaza and the fact that people hate each other passionately there and wage war on one another.  At the end of the day, no matter what you believe or think about this situation, people lay dead every day with no end in sight.  Again this is a situation that demands prayer!  I also have been led to pray about the situation in Ukraine, the horrible deaths of those innocent folks simply flying in a commercial airliner and then there is the situation at the southern border of our own country.  There are no easy answers and much emotion is spent and we all know that emotion generates more heat than light.  Simply, we should pray for the people who are victimized both at home and then again when they try to come here.  Yes, a rule of law must exist, but who can deny compassion to anyone who is living in fear, real fear.  Prayers indeed are demanded for this situation.


Every now and then I like to do this, it basically is electronic journaling.  But I find value in taking stock and reviewing things past and present and looking forward to what lies ahead.  I sure know that I have much to look forward to.  Over the next two weekends I will be involved in very special ministry.  Next week I will help with the initial retreat for the men selected for aspirancy in the formation process of the Deacon.  Aspirancy means that after a period of 15 months of inquiry, the Archbishop senses a possibility that the aspirant may have a calling to Holy Orders through the diaconate.  23 men have been selected for the aspirancy stage of formation and next weekend will be on retreat at the Rosaryville retreat center near Hammond, La.  I will present on the Simple Path and assist in any way possible.  Then the following weekend I will be part of a day long retreat at Rayburn for the Catholic community inside this state prison.  The day will be topped off with a visit from Archbishop Aymond who will also celebrate Mass for the men.


On August 10th all the Deacons will gather to celebrate the Feast of St. Lawrence, one of our patrons as he was an important Deacon in the life of the early church in Rome.  And of course, all the classes for the diaconate kick off in August both for our new aspirants and for the 2015 class, scheduled for ordination next June!


For Wendy and me, our most forward looking event is the next reunion with our Calvin, our one and only grandchild.  We had such a wonderful visit in June, we can hardly wait for the 1st week of September and the opportunity to celebrate birthday #2.  Thanks to our wonderful son and daughter-in-law, we also Skype with Calvin practically every Sunday.  That has been an incredible blessing and something to look forward to every week.


Time for me to get moving on this Saturday morning.  Since Wendy is out of town, visiting her mom, who I know she misses every since she moved to Texas, I have the weekend all to myself.  I still don't know what I am going to do with it all although I know cutting grass will be involved as will folding towels.  Exciting stuff!!  But my wish list thing today is to rent the movie Heaven is For Real!  And of course, my ministry will keep me busy, preparing for these upcoming retreats, praying for all my intentions and for you too and assisting at Mass tomorrow morning.


Summer time and the living is easy.  Here's praying for an uneventful remainder of summer, cooler air and absolutely no hurricane activity!!

No comments:

Post a Comment