Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Stations of the Cross inside a Prison

The men that make up the Catholic community at Rayburn Prison tonight celebrated the Stations of the Cross.  I got to say, as their chaplain for the past 5 + years, never before have I witnessed this.  Maybe I should have suggested it myself, but tonight, the men took matters into their own hands and we prayed the Stations of the Cross.


Each Station was introduced with the normal refrain and response, followed by a short reflection for each Station and then at the end of each Station they recited an Our Father.  At the completion of the 14th and final Station they offered a prayer for Pope Francis, followed by another Our Father, a Hail Mary and a Glory Be.


It was inmate led and I was quite pleased to be just one of the guys in the pews responding and following along!


What a rich night for the guys at Rayburn.  Along with Stations of the Cross, the men had the opportunity to go to Reconciliation and be present for the celebration of Holy Mass and receive Jesus in Holy Communion.


It had been awhile since I last visited with the Catholic community on Wednesday night.  I am so glad I was there and I know it won't be that long again!!

No comments:

Post a Comment