Friday, November 29, 2013

Black Friday in the USA: Baby Jesus must be so proud!

I wake up on this glorious Friday after an equally glorious Thanksgiving Day preparing for a quick day at work and watching the morning news.  Of course my eyes were greeted by sights of folks rushing into department stores, literally grabbing items off the shelves, some scrapping with fellow shoppers.  So far there has been only one report of injuries, that in Chicago.

I get the argument about great bargains and stretching a buck on behalf of the family.  Remember, I too am a dad and grandpa. I love all things Christmas!  I love all things Christmas if it brings honor and glory to the One Christmas is all about.  My goodness, all this consumerism and retail havoc making must surely make the Baby Jesus proud!

Think about your role in all of this.  We all are quick to blame the retailers who offer crazy hours and insane bargains.  These would not exist if we, as a people, place priority on this, over celebrating the birth of Christ, the true Christian meaning of giving and receiving and the real gift of presence, the gift of our selves, one to the other, as children of God, remembering His coming to us as man.

Black Friday in and of itself is not evil.  What we have allowed it to become most certainly is!

No comments:

Post a Comment