Tuesday, October 29, 2013

A week like this; for the Permanent Deacon, it still is being despite lots of doing

I just published a post concerning a Cardinal's appreciation for the need of a Permanent Diaconate some 50 year ago.  Ah, the good Cardinal was a prophet yet the article may be written in such a manner that Permanent Deacons are simply needed to "do" more to help out those overworked Priests.  While this certainly happens, the Permanent Diaconate was needed because it's all about the Church being, Holy Orders being and service, as a charism, sacramentalized by the presence of the Deacon at Mass, the Sacraments, prayer service, in the workplace, in the marketplace.

Let's take a look at this week to understand the need for Permanent Deacons and all some of what happens from their presence.  On Sunday alone the vast majority of my day, and that of my wife for that matter, was spent in what we call Inquiry.  The Archdiocese of New Orleans has 30 + men inquiring into the possibility of a call to a vocation as a Deacon.  To respond to this call, a series of inquiry sessions is held over a period of many, many months.  My wife and I have dedicated ourselves to helping out in this process as table leaders; serving as a moderator and example for several couples as they discern their calling.  It's a wonderful experience, even though the sessions are 65 miles from home and take about 7 hours, with all the travel time.  Having remembered the example of many a great Deacon and his wife while I went through Inquiry back in 2003, I find it very normal to want to serve in that capacity today.  Again, this serves as another example of being even though it sounds a lot like doing!

While a normal work week beckons, I find myself with plenty of responsibility for the rest of the week.  On Monday night I helped to train 3 new altar servers who are ready to serve themselves at my assigned parish.  Monday also brought much time for preparation as I am conducting and preaching a remembrance service tomorrow night and preaching twice this coming weekend.  By Monday night, I am neck deep into preparation for both.  Speaking of preparation, I also have two ongoing marriage preps and three baptisms.  There is always checks and double checks until the event actually takes place.

Tomorrow night I will travel back to Rayburn Correctional to preside and conduct the Remembrance Service for one of the inmates who unexpectedly died last week.  Everyone, inmates and volunteers, as well as guards, etc., was fond of our friend Woody.  His passing will leave a void in our Catholic community at the prison.  I plan to offer words of reflection, remembering and consolation from the prayers and readings selected.  It's heart warming to see such care and concern for even one classified as a prisoner from his fellow inmates all the way to the staff & administration of the prison.  His presence as a faithful Catholic at Rayburn actually endeared him to men of many different faith based traditions.

As if this alone would not be enough for a week, we all know that with the ending of October and the start of November we have All Saints Day.  And this year the holy day of obligation falls on a first Friday.  We are planning three liturgies, a bereavement service as well as having Adoration all day on the 1st.

Come Sunday, it's time to preach twice and my prep work is ongoing.  Hopefully this week I will be able to post the homily for all to consider.

Yes, a week like this is, for the Permanent Deacon, about being, even though there is plenty of doing.  I understand now that the doing flows from my being and my gift in doing is all about presence.  I love the ministry of the Permanent Deacon entrusted to me by God!

No comments:

Post a Comment