Monday, September 23, 2013

In Bishop Fabre's own words on being named new Bishop for Houma-Thibodaux

Complete text of Bishop Fabre's statement on being appointed Bishop of Houma-Thibodaux

Delivered September 23 at 2 pm
Good afternoon!  Please allow me to begin by expressing my gratitude and personal support to our Holy Father, Pope Francis, who has today named me the Fourth Bishop of the Diocese of Houma-Thibodaux.  I am humbled and excited by this appointment by the Holy Father, and I pledge to serve the needs of the Church in the Diocese of Houma-Thibodaux to the very best of my ability.  In all that we do, it is the Lord Jesus Christ whom we praise and serve.

I was in the Diocese of Houma-Thibodaux this morning for a press conference where I greeted the faithful of the diocese.  Since I know that many television and radio stations in New Orleans also serve areas of the Diocese of Houma-Thibodaux, please allow me to again express, as I did this morning in the diocese, my greetings to the faithful of the Diocese of Houma-Thibodaux.  We embark upon a journey together now, and I look forward to coming to know the Lord with the people of the Diocese of Houma-Thibodaux.

This appointment to the Diocese of Houma-Thibodaux means that I will soon be departing from the Archdiocese of New Orleans, which I have been proud and blessed to call home and to serve as auxiliary bishop for the past six and one-half years.  During my service here in New Orleans, I have come to know and to love this wonderful archdiocese and this unique American city.  I have come to know the deep faith of the people of this archdiocese, as well as the rich culture and all the many unique aspects of New Orleans that make so many people around our country and around the world love the Crescent City.  I have witnessed and been a part of the ongoing recovery from the devastation of Hurricane Katrina, and I laud and praise New Orleans for how far it has come.  In so many ways, it is a model of what it means to maintain hope and trust in God in spite of devastation.

I wish to express specific gratitude to Archbishop Gregory Aymond.  Archbishop Aymond, I thank you for all that you have taught me and for your trust in me.  I shall miss our regular interactions focusing on how best to respond to the practical and pastoral needs of the Archdiocese.  I look forward to our ongoing interaction as bishops in the Province of New Orleans, and I ask God’s blessings upon your ministry here in New Orleans.  I also express gratitude to retired Archbishop Alfred Hughes, under whose leadership I also served.  Thank you, Archbishop Hughes, for your support of me and for your guidance and insight. I also acknowledge the privilege that was mine to interact with Archbishop Francis Schulte and with Bishop Dominic Carmon, who served this archdiocese and now enjoy retirement.  Thank you, Archbishop Schulte and Bishop Carmon for your ministry and for your support.

I am grateful to my brother priests, and to the permanent deacons and to the women and men religious of the Archdiocese of New Orleans.  I am grateful for the many ways that we have worked together, and for the tremendous dedication and service that I have seen as you minister here to God’s people.

Finally, I express great gratitude to the faithful people of the Archdiocese of New Orleans.  I shall always remember my service in New Orleans, and the many ways that you were a blessing to me by way of your lived faith and your prayerful support.

God’s peace and blessings be with the Church here in the Archdiocese of New Orleans now and forever!  May God who has begun such good things in you all bring them one day to completion.  Please pray for me, as I promise my continued prayers for all of you here in the Archdiocese of New Orleans.

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment