Saturday, September 21, 2013

Homily for the 25th Sunday in Ordinary Time

Who remembers Jack Benny?  A great comedian from a bygone era, Jack Benny declared that he was never older than 39, played the violin poorly and was cheap, very cheap.  In one of his comedy routines a mugger approaches him to rob him and declares: "your money or your life".  After a period of prolonged silence the mugger grows impatient and yells: "well".  Benny responds: "I'm thinking about it." What a tight wad!

Money is such a challenge for us.  Most of us believe we don't make enough and most of us wish we had more.  The love of money, we are told, is the root of all evil.  Yet, money and wealth is indeed necessary.  What kind of wealth may require a little exploration as many of us cling to a wealth that fades rather than a wealth that lasts.

As people of faith, the true wealth that lasts is eternal happiness with God the Father that comes through Christ the Son!

In this 16th chapter of St. Luke's Gospel Jesus is giving us more of an example of a parable in what is commonly referred to as the story of the dishonest steward.  The steward, after basically being fired and facing unemployment declares that he is too weak to dig and too ashamed to beg.  I guess this dishonest steward only thought that making money was reserved to begging and digging.  Instead the dishonest steward forges a deal and has the debtors write new promissory notes for less than the original debt.  Was he cutting out the profit of the master?  Was he eliminating his own commission perhaps?  Was he getting rid of interest?  We truly don't know the answers to these questions but he was currying favor with each debtor.  In this example story, Jesus tells us that the master commends the dishonest steward?  Is this a message of confusion concerning dishonesty?  No, absolutely not.  The master is commending the steward for his wisdom in handling these accounts and his decisiveness.  Jesus condemns dishonesty at all times, but he is teaching his disciples, and you and I, that we too should be wise and decisive in matters of faith.

Do we give generously from our wealth?  Do we give back to God first, whether we are wealthy or not?  Do we examine our spending habits and our wants vs. needs?  Do I truly have a heart for the poor and needy?  Besides money, which we call treasure, do I give of myself in time and talent?  Do I cook a meal for my neighbor, visit the sick, support my Church in all it's ministries, do I check in with my elderly relative?  I am aware of when I am stingy with my time, talent and treasure?  Do I always act honorably in paying my debts, my taxes and do I live up to my obligations?

Why should I give?  Why should I be a good steward?  Will I earn extra points in heaven if I give?  Should I give because I feel guilty when I don't?  Of course not!  We give, we exercise stewardship and wisdom because God gave first, He gave us everything that we are, everything that we have.  He gave us His Son, Jesus, who gave his all, to save each and everyone of us!  He gave us his Son, Jesus, whom St. Paul reminds us is the one mediator between God and man!

We give because we truly cannot serve God and mammom!

In the week ahead, pray about what kind of steward am I.  In the week ahead be exceedingly generous in time, talent, treasure!

Your money or your life; don't keep God waiting for an answer!!!


(acknowledge some of this homily's content from Deacon Michael Bulson, Believe What You Read, Timeless Homilies for Deacons, Year C.)

No comments:

Post a Comment