Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Deacon's wives are incredible; I know mine is

I've posted before of the many contributions the Deacon's wife makes to the people of God by the love & support given to her husband, his ministry responsibilities and various tasks.  You may have noticed from a recent post that my wife, Wendy, has been in the hospital these last 4 days with a wicked kidney infection.  Despite her illness she was very supportive, and encouraging, of me attending to all my responsibilities even while hospitalized.  So I did not miss my two mass assignments Sunday, thanks to her insistence and the fact that the hospital is just 2 blocks from the church.  Monday would be a different story as my responsibility was a long 40 miles away.  New changes to some prison ministry details by the prison administration made it necessary for a meeting for all involved in the support of the Catholic community at Rayburn.  It took us quite awhile to plan this meeting and it appeared to me that there was no way I was going to be present.  Once it became obvious that Wendy was spending Monday night in the hospital she insisted that I get up to Rayburn.  Although a little late, I did indeed manage to be there for this very important meeting.  What made this even more critical is that once in inside the prison, no cell phones allowed.   Despite her illness and hospitalization, Wendy made sure I attended to this critical event.

Tonight my wife was released and made it home.  She is doing much better; thanks for the prayers!  Again, she knew the importance of my meeting tonight with a couple preparing for the Sacrament of Marriage.  She knew that we had lost some valuable time as we were unable to meet while the bride to be finished her law school semester.  Despite getting my wife in the door and set up for dinner, it was time for me to run.  Without any hesitation, Wendy had me on the way for what turned out to be an important night in the careful preparation for this young couple!

She is a very supportive wife in my ministry.  Wendy never seeks to be involved hands on in my ministries using her gifts for her career, her CCD students and being my rock to insure my "to-do's" get done.  Deacon wives play vital roles in our ministries and the support we feel by their prayers & love alone make all the difference in the world!  When you pray for your ministers at the church, throw in a prayer or two for the wives of the Permanent Deacons!

No comments:

Post a Comment