Wednesday, December 19, 2012

A Christmas Celebration inside state prison

Before I sat to write this post I looked back on the last three times I blogged about the Christmas Celebration in prison.  While our volunteer crew has grown from 2 to 3 to 4 and now this year 5, everything else is about the same.  And despite the fact that this is the 4th year I have participated and witnessed this blessed night, it is just as special as the first time.

Assigned to Rayburn Prison as the Archdiocesan pastoral care chaplain I am always thankful for the growing number of volunteers who minister with me.  A team of 4 men from Mary Queen of Peace Parish and a team of 2-3 men from Annunciation Parish help me tremendously in carrying the Word of God and the Eucharist to these men.  Tonight 5 of these volunteers prepared an awesome banquet for the men of the Catholic community.  If you look at my past posts you could predict the menu: salad, sandwiches, chicken fingers, donuts, fruit cake, ice cream, egg nog and sodas.  Needless to say, the men love it.  This is not the normal food they eat at a state correctional facility.  To say they eat hearty would be an understatement.

We conclude the night with the Gospel reading from the Christmas midnight mass, sing several Christmas carols and a prayer or two.  The men have the only real Christmas experience they will have at this event, on this particular night.  I am so blessed to be here; to witness this joyous event.  It's hard for me to believe that this is now year 4 since I've attended the Christmas banquet.

I really need to thank again the volunteers from MQP: Mike, John, Jimmy & Tom.  Their ministry at Rayburn is indeed the perfect witness to Christ like social justice and compassion.  I also want to thank volunteer Doug from Annunciation Parish who was with us tonight serving and working clean up.  These humble acts of service are a reminder to all of being Christ the Servant to others.

May the blessings of the newborn King of Kings be with these men in the Christmas season ahead and throughout the New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment