Sunday, November 11, 2012

A weekend trip of a lifetime

That's saying a lot.  I'm a pretty well traveled guy, having visited 48 states, 3 foreign countries and have seen some amazing events.  This quick weekend trip is all about family and relishing my new role as grandfather: a.k.a. Pops!  When our grandson Calvin was born back on September 6th my wife and I, and our daughter too, rushed to get to North Carolina.  We were there 24 hours after his birth, stayed as long as we could and then said goodbye to our new gift, our #1 grandson, and put 800 miles between us and him.

Being a long distance grandparent is done by many; I contend when it's your first, it ain't easy.  Last month my wife was given a great opportunity when her schedule was just right and she spent two weeks taking care of Calvin while mom & dad returned to the reality of work.  Then, out of the blue, a good friend of my son, whom I have known since they were elementary school buddies, called with an offer too good to be true.  He had the ability to transfer an airline ticket to anyone, anywhere in the USA that the airline flew.  While the airport this airline flies into is an hour away, I said close enough. 

I arrived on Saturday around 2 p.m.  After renting a car and heading out on I-40 I headed west and got to see the autumn splendor of multi-colored tree leaves.  Once in town, I was visiting my Calvin by 4:30 and spent 5 glorious hours with him; and of course, his mom & dad!  He looked so familiar from our Skype visits but so much bigger and different from our last in person visit.  He is perfect; he is awesome.

After a good night's sleep, well sort of, I headed out to Mass and anxiously headed back to my son's home.  I got about 10 hours of Calvin time today; including a good long hour with him just sleeping on my chest, quiet and perfect.  One of the things I insisted we do was take a picture with me, my son and my grandson.  Three generations of Talbot men from my branch of the tree.  Since I have scarce male cousins and our grandfather died young, not to mention several of our dads, I imagine this might be a first in 60 or more years.  I posted the picture earlier tonight. 

I have an unusual dilema tomorrow that I prefer to call an opportunity.  With Monday being Veteran's Day I have the day off, but alas, my son and daughter-in-law do not.  So it will be an early morning visit and by 10 a.m. I'll have to say my good byes.  But then I will gave over 6 hours to kill before boarding for the return trip home.  A small price to pay for the 18-20 hours of face time I got to share with #1 grandson!

I know many of you reading this cherish the gift of your grandchildren.  I now fully understand.  In thanksgiving I rejoice in God's great gift of life.

Good night Calvin!  See you in the morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment