Sunday, October 14, 2012

Not a typical Deacon's weekend

What is a typical weekend for the Permanent Deacon?  There is probably no real typical weekend as some Permanent Deacons are heavily involved in parish liturgy while others are so busy all week long with a charity or ministry they may have far less weekend responsibilities.  Typical also may be determined by factors such as how big is the parish, how many Permanent Deacons are assigned to a parish and what are the expectations of a particular Pastor.

Normally, for me, a typical weekend might be to assist at my parish at one or two Masses, preach twice one weekend a month, attend to classes twice a month for the formation program at the Archdiocese, the possibility of baptisms as they are scheduled. 

Rarely does a weekend like this weekend happen.  To begin with this weekend was the assigned preaching weekend for the Deacons.  Both of our parish Priests were enjoying vacations with the Pastor returning from a week long one and the Priest in residence leaving on his vacation Saturday.  That left the Pastor all alone for the weekend so he asked the Deacons to preach.  No big deal.  That is until one of the Deacons remembers at the last minute he and his bride are registered and paid up for a Deacons Retreat Weekend.  I scrambled for help but could find none.  Heck, many of our brother Deacons were on retreat too.  I approached the weekend prepared to preach four times.  It's not too bad except that first Mass of Sunday is always a challenge at 7 a.m.

So Friday night I retired to the quiet solitude of the homestead as I sent my wife and visiting daughter off for dinner and a Friday night shopping spree.  I spent the evening peacefully completing the homily, or so I thought.  If my liturgical challenge would not be enough, Saturday was also a work day for the Deacon so I needed to be at my office between 9 and noon.  While at work I got some additional inspiration so I was able to truly finish the homily off between work reports and customers.  My long weekend began with the vigil Mass, a well attended Mass and all went well.  Mass and homily #1 done.  At the conclusion of the Mass one of our nicest couples and their family were gathered to renew wedding vows after 50 years of marriage.  While the Pastor needed no assistance, I hung around because I wanted to be there to affirm this couple and the beautiful testimony to sacramental marriage after 50 years!  My Saturday ended with LSU's big victory over South Carolina which really means I went to bed late and was to amp'd up to go to sleep.

For any reason, 5:30 a.m. comes very very early for a Sunday morning.  I settled in at MHT at 6:30 a.m. fully aware that it would be near 2 p.m. before I could leave for the day.  Oh, did I mention that after threee Sunday Masses and homilies, I had two Baptisms to boot!  Each of the Masses and homilies went off without a hitch and I was doing great although the knee pain from my horribly arthritic knees was getting to be noticeable.  The Baptisms began about 12:30 p.m. and were beautiful; two little boys.  One was the firstborn of the family and named Jackson Paul.  The other was the fourth in his family named Elijah David.  The baptisms too were without hitch and this remains one of those extra special sacraments I truly enjoy as the Deacon.

By 2 p.m. I made it home and have enjoyed these last few hours to just relax.  I've completed evening prayer and currently watching Benediction from EWTN, a Sunday afternoon tradition especially since Wendy and I visited there 4 months ago.

So yes indeed, assisting at four Masses and preaching is far outside the norm, in fact, it is not expected in any way.  Circumstances dictated otherwise and I am just thankful that I could do this and I still have some time to relax this evening before returning to my work week early in the morning.  Again, far from typical, this indeed can be the life of the Permanent Deacon on the weekend.  But do not forget, the Permanent Deacon is not a part time anything, he is still Deacon all week long, even if we encounter him not directly involved in ministry.  A Deacon is identified more by being, not just his doing.

Now I do look forward to a little less of a hectic weekend next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment