Monday, November 14, 2011

Monday musings

I began to write a journal back in my earliest days of formation as I discerned my vocation to the permanent diaconate.  In some small way this blog is a continuation of journaling although it has expanded in ways I never thought imaginable.  I've been very pleased(human emotion) that in the past few months I am actually getting some good activity on this blog.  In no way does this blog compete with the many fine Catholic blogs that are well known but for me, it serves it's purpose.

On this Monday evening I am struck by the amazing change in early autumn weather here in greater New Orleans.  Last week we enjoyed lows near 40 mand highs of 65 with low humidity and nice northerly breezes.  Today we awake to lows of 70 and highs of 85 with more like summer humidity thanks to southern winds that come in from the still warm Gulf of Mexico.  But I never complain about weather in the fall and winter because it's just not the summer doldrums of living in the deep south.

On this Monday evening I am also struck by how the commercial world thinks it's Christmas already.  Many radio stations have already begun all Christmas music, all the time and one prominent cable TV network is running a marathon of cheap, poorly made Christmas movies.  Call me old-fashioned but I like the idea of Christmas season being in late December through early January.  Of course all the hype today is simply to encourage us to spend money and plan those crazy holiday parties.  And we also know that deep down the world really does not want us celebrating Christmas, as in the birth of Christ, the coming of God to this world in the person of Jesus, instead they want us to have happy holidays.

On this Monday evening I am reflecting on events of recent days that have given me both great joy and some anxiety.  Just yesterday I was thrilled to baptize twins; and 18 month old twins at that.  And active 18 month old twins.  Mom & dad were a nervous wreck as the twins squirmed and made noises and occasionaly got away from their grip.  No need to be nervous, children will be children.  All in all it was a beautiful Baptism and two more beautiful children are now full members of the Body of Christ.  I count it as great joy every opportunity given to me to administer this beautiful Sacrament.  I've also been actively involved with the 6 week teaching on the new Roman Missal for our parishioners who want to be fully prepared for the changes in the Mass.  Tomorrow night is our last class.  And I am looking forward with great expectation as our current class of deacon candidates, scheduled for ordination about a year from now, begin delivering their first homilies in class this weekend.  Great memories of my own homiletic training.

Yes, I did mention anxiety.  Maybe not the best choice of words but it will do for now.  A medical visit last week revealed that I'm in bad shape but I can control and reverse things by doing what is asked of me.  I'm trying to get a handle on this new diet I began last Wednesday which has netted me a loss of 4 lbs in 5 days.  The myriad of doctor visits and follow ups over the next six weeks alone is enough to add to any anxiety but sometimes they yield remarkably good results.  Anxiety also occurs sometimes when every aspect of your life is busy to the max.  These days work is demanding and ministry can be too.  I usually respond with aggressive enthusiasm but must admit, the work part has been difficult lately.  I've put in 18 years almost with my current employer and have been in the financial field since 1979; that's 32 years.  Sometimes I just wish I could do ministry work all day every day and get paid.  But then I remember, it's up to me to see ministry in my work, and the people I deal with daily, weekly, etc. 

On this Monday evening, just about 10 days shy of Thanksgiving I am remarkably thankful for the gift of a wonderful wife, two really great children and the ministry of being a Permanent Deacon in the Catholic Church.  Since my ordination three years ago, I have been blessed to have served in two wonderful parishes, St. Jane de Chantal in Abita Springs and now Most Holy Trinity in Covington.  I truly have loved every minute and every opportunity to visit and serve the men of Rayburn Prison.  Before this ministry was entrusted to me I would have never dreamed of a day when I would enter a prison, much less interact with men serving time for serious crimes.  But so I do and am so very thankful that I do!

So on this Monday evening I try and focus on all these thoughts and feelings mulling around somewhere deep inside.  Prayer and reflection is a good thing.  And now off to evening prayer to make this past hour one that I hand over to Him.  On this Monday evening I am reminded to give it all to Jesus, whose yoke is easy and burden light!

No comments:

Post a Comment