Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Return to Rayburn

After a strange month of scheduling conflicts and a crowded calendar my drive to Rayburn Correctional tonight was filled with anticipation.  I have not been with the men in almost a month.  I planned my whole day so I could get there plenty early enough.  Then some real bad weather moved through the area and reports of a small tornado in the general direction of between where I was and where I was going.  Thankfully, the weather broke and I had smooth sailing to the prison.  And as is always the case, my Wednesday night inside Rayburn Correctional did not disappoint.  I even had a really nice turnout with almost 40 men in attendance.

And I am always amazed at how happy they genuinely seem to be that I am there to spend the evening with them.  I certainly recognize that in bringing Jesus to them, in both the Scripture and the Eucharist, this is why they are filled with such joy.  I truly have never been surrounded by those who long for their encounter with the Eucharistic Lord.

We conducted a Communion Service tonight and read the readings from this Sunday's Mass(anticipated).  These men always respond generously to the readings and the homily.  Communion, as is always the case, is a great study in reverance and awe.  As mentioned before, their is a sincere longing to receive the Lord.

After our service I spent about a half hour reviewing the upcoming changes in the liturgy so, as a community, we can prepare to celebrate our Masses and Communion Services, in unity.

Again, I thank God for this ministry, it's awesome power to lift me no matter what type of week I am experiencing.  And thank God that these men, despite incarceration, are living lives for the Lord and His Holy Catholic Church!

No comments:

Post a Comment