Friday, June 24, 2011

The week that is, that was and will be; JCTSYTF

Every now and again I believe it profitable to reflect on the week that was; to look back and prepare more worthily for what's upcoming.  I still tend to do this in a very linear way and I don't think that's ever going to change.  The week just past was typical in many ways but full of moments of stress and frustration and equal parts great joy and spiritual fulfillment.  It is another example for me of why I cling to the scripture from Hebrews: Jesus Christ the same yesterday, today and forever! (JCTSYTF)

Sometimes it really is vital to remember this verse and the meaning behind it when things are not going well and when they are going well.  And I try to remember this verse when struggles abound and when joy abounds.  Both extremes can dot a typical week for your's truly.

I always have to remember that in all I do; and that means everything, I am a Permanent Deacon in God's holy church.  You can't check out of your "being Deacon" when you want to rant or rave at work, argue with a family member or deal with a difficult person at WalMart or the doctor's office or anywhere.  Can I keep JCTSYTF in front of me at all times and in every situation?  This is my challenge.

The week was challenging, beginning with Father's Day itself.  My diaconal responsibilities included both of the early Masses; 7 and 9 a.m.  That's even earlier than I go to work; honest!  And being the parish feast day we had a parish picnic to celebrate.  Indeed, a great idea and great event; just started to feel a desire to nap the rest of Father's Day when it was time to head out.

When Monday morning dawns I know that it is the earliest day of the week to report to the office.  As I drive by both St. Jane Church in Abita and Most Holy Trinity on the service road in south Covington, I remember those weekdays when I was able to attend daily Mass.  I can't really sweat this detail because under my current schedule it just ain't going to happen.  By Tuesday we were enveloped in meetings at the bank but I so looked forward to being part of the confirmation team at MHT as we held our first planning meeting.  It is amazing how much needs to be done to facilitate the confirmation of our young adults: the classes, retreats, themes, selection of saint names and the big day itself.

By Wednesday work was in full bloom(my way of being polite and keeping myself out of trouble) and the JCTSYTF was sorely needed.  Again, ministry would be my salvation as I headed north for yet another night of praise, worship and communion for the Catholic population of Rayburn prison.  The prison, guards and inmates equally, was much calmer, much more focused than my last visit.  Caught up in Louisiana politics and nasty budget negotiations, Rayburn was rumored to be closed.  That threat has passed, thankfully.  And it showed Wednesday night.

I used my visit to reflect rather deeply on the Eucharist as we read and prayed the readings and prayers for this Sunday's solemnity.  Since many of these men who have long incarcerations have accepted their sentence and their faith, this can be like preaching to the choir.  Many among my community know full well the teachings on the Eucharist and the biblical roots of this teaching.  I always marvel at communion time inside Rayburn as many of the men display an awe and reverence that would rival any Cathlolic Church on a Sunday morning.

Thursday brought another opportunity to be present to men seeking some clarity as they discern a possible call to diakonia.  24 men have begun classes in what is called aspirancy, a first full year of forming community, getting back to class, all the while discerning if they will apply down the road as a candidate for the the diaconate.  Each class has its' own personality.  I've been blessed to be around the class before my own, the 2006 group, and my own as well as the 2010 group ordained just last year, 2012 who is some 17 months away from ordination and  now these men who would form a group that would be ordained in 2015.  I always enjoy being around these aspirants and candidates and am happy to play a small role on the formation team for the Archdiocese.

So now, a Friday, I'm so happy for the weekend but tired; a good and holy tired.  My preaching assignment has me breaking open the Word at the two early Masses this Sunday.  I have some finishing touches to make on my homily between tonight and tomorrow.

All the while we are enduring summer in the deep south.  Many celebrated the first day of summer this week past; not so much here.  First of all, if daylight and temperture are measuring sticks, we are in about week 8 of summer.  Summer is such a dominant season down here; way to dry until very recently but always hot.  Combination of heat and humidity keeps our area uncomfortable outdoors from early May to early October.  OK Mike, even in the heat, JCTSYTF!

So these are some of my thoughts and ramblings on this Friday night as I return to homily preparation.

No comments:

Post a Comment