Thursday, June 9, 2011

Real peace at a beleagured prison

I've been writing for over a week or so now about the Louisiana budget cuts that might shut down the Rayburn Correctional Center where I am privileged to minister.  Since the news broke that a clsoing might be a very imminent reality I have not been on the grounds.  I have heard from others that the atmosphere is tense and even uncomfortable.  Well, last night I found out firsthand.

For me, I am happy to report I found no such tension and had quite a nice, peaceful night with the men in my Catholic community.  The men had Mass this particular night presided by Fr. Pat from the actual church whose boundaries include the prison.  He has been coming up to Rayburn now for a few months.  Mass was beautifully celebrated and several men even were able to go to confession.

We did talk about what was going on and the inmates themselves seemed at peace.  I guess over time they learn to worry little about that which you can't control.  And the men who faithfully attend our Wednesday night services truly are men of faith.  In prayer they are expecting a good outcome.

So it was for me another Wednesday night where my faith was fortified by their faith and we all spent a wonderful night together celebrating Mass and giving God all the honor and glory due Him.  But I ask all of you to continue to pray that the final outcome of this political foolishness be that Rayburn continues open and some normalcy return to the institution.

No comments:

Post a Comment