Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Inability of deacon candidate to pledge obedience to Bishop means no ordination and too much public comment

>>>I first saw this yesterday at Deacon Greg Kendra's magnificent blog then saw it picked up on at least 5 blogs I frequent.  You can read the story below and find out more through the blogosphere.  Long story short; just days before ordination, a deacon candidate withdrew based on his problems with pledging obedience to his bishop over a sex abuse scandal in the diocese.  As an ordained deacon who has made such a pledge, I find this story disturbing on so many levels.  Before that I will admit that I am not very familiar with the details of the scandal that Bishop Finn is involved with and I certainly do not know candidate Jim McConnell.  What bothers me strongly is the high public profile he appears to have taken in announcing this decision.  A full blown letter in his parish bulletin?  This seems extreme to me.  Caution: I'm not challenging his heart but to go public with such a painful decision seems so un-deacon like. 

I'm also confused, as an ordained Deacon, what he believes about pledging obedience.  A deacon is not going to be ordained without pledging obedience to his bishop and the bishop's successors.  How can any man about to be ordained to the diaconate know in advance the decisions that the bishop, or his successor will make in the future?  If I take Jim McConnell at the core of his decision, does this mean any deacon should resign once his bishop, whose on-going obedience is in force, make a mistake or worse, violate church teaching or the law.  No one is compelled by church teaching to obey to the point of grevious sin.  Is the obedience to the office or the man?  If the bishop instructs Jim McConnell, or me for that matter, to jump off the roof, or support abortion, or support women's ordination, is Jim or me compelled by our oath to obey.  I think St. Thomas Aquinas' teachings help me to discern this type of difference.

On the surface, and that is where I choose to stay at this point, I find it disappointing that Jim, who admits he has this calling FROM GOD, did not follow through, at least for now, on that call.  And even more disappointed that this has become so public and promises to not go away anytime soon.

Obedience is a tough thing; take a stroll through the Scriptures or read the newspapers.

May God continue to bless all involved.

I have decided not to accept the call to Holy Orders…” — UPDATED
June 7, 2011 by Deacon Greg Kandra

A reader sent me the link to this bulletin, which carries the note below from a deacon candidate responding to the disturbing news in the Diocese of Kansas City-St. Joseph. He was scheduled to be ordained a deacon last weekend, but withdrew at the last minute.

His statement:

Dear Holy Family Parish:
After a great deal of soul searching, prayer and reflection, I have decided not to accept the call to Holy Orders that I have received.

Because of the recent disclosure of failures within the diocese to protect the people of St. Patrick Parish from harm, I cannot promise respect or obedience that is a part of the diaconate ordination. To me this breakdown in the system that was put in place to protect God’s children is inexcusable.

It is with great sadness that I must inform you that I will not be able to serve Holy Family Parish as your deacon. Holy Family has been my spiritual home for over 30 years, and I have received great love and support during many joy filled and sometimes very difficult events in my life. Cindy and I will continue to support Holy Family in what ever way we can and wish to express our appreciation and love to all of you.

Jim and Cindy McConnell

My heart breaks to read things like that. I’m sure that was not an easy note to write, or an easy decision to make. My prayers go out to him, and his wife, and the members of his parish family.

No comments:

Post a Comment