Sunday, May 22, 2011

A reflective and satisfying Sunday

As I relax for a little while longer on this beautiful Sunday morning before leaving for Mass I find myself remarkably reflective.  On Friday evening I sat next to my wife of 34 years and watched our baby girl march across stage on the campus of LSU to receive her college diploma.  While feeling very proud, that accomplishment is all hers; she did the work and remained focused over four years to reach this point.  What a great moment and as I reflect on both my children, seeing them succeed has been one heck of a blessing.

The whole buildup to graduation weekend was cool; Wendy made sure everything was in place, not just for graduation but the visit of my son Jimmy and his wife Sara.  They would be visiting us for the first time since they were married this time last year.  In addition to all the graduation action, the visiting time with Jimmy and Sara was such a nice added pleasure.  They are already airborne, flying back to resume their lives in North Carolina.

Yesterday, as part of her graduation experience, Elizabeth, Jimmy and Sara all went sky-diving.  Now jumping out of a plane is not my idea of fun, but they could not wait.  Not wanting to tempt anything, and knowing my personality, I opted to hear all about it and look at the pictures.  Needless to say they all landed safe and sound and in one piece.

So while preparing for Mass, always grateful for this gift, I'm preparing to give thanks to God for the gift of my children, their lives lived and the good things that have come their way.  And for the gift of the family he created in giving me a devoted and wonderful wife Wendy all those many years ago.

Today at Mass we will hear from Acts the reading of the first seven deacons.  Again, another moment of thanksgiving as I rejoice in this ministry He has bestowed on me.

I may not do much with the rest of my Sunday after Mass beyond reflecting and remembering the wonderful events of these past few days.  And in doing so I will utter many times, Deo Gratias: Thanks be to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment