Saturday, March 12, 2011

I met the bride & groom at the altar

I have never been in this position before. I was asked to fill in for my pastor tonight at a wedding. My pastor had surgery just two days ago and was unable to fulfill his plans to officiate at the wedding. Called to help I was happy to say yes; afterall, the circumstances were unusual and the couple certainly deserved to have their wedding day go off without a hitch. But never before have I officiated a wedding without meeting the couple and even preparing them for their wedding and life together as man & wife.

I did get to say hi to both of them just moments before the wedding begin. I assured them that I would do all in my power to make the wedding special as I prepared to take my place at the front of the church. All went off without a hitch. I was able to explain to the family and friends gathered that I was more nervous then the bride & groom but that with God's help we would get through it.

The readings were proclaimed and I proclaimed the Gospel from Matthew about the greatest commandment: love God with your whole heart, whole souls and mind and love your neighbor as yourself. Love! In my homily I asked what does love have to do with it? I took the opportunity to teach a little; about love; agape love where one loves unconditionally without expecting anything in return. I reminded the young couple that they are the ministers of this sacrament and that this sacrament was ordained for the salvation of others; each other.

Consent and vows were exchanged, rings blessed and the ceremony concluded; all was well with the world. I don't know if I will ever meet this young couple again; I hope so, but I will remember the special night we shared, on the altar before God and the witnesses and fulfilled the comittment to celebrate a sacrament; the sacrament of matrimony. Even if I never met them before!

No comments:

Post a Comment