Sunday, March 13, 2011

And you thought Saturday was busy?

After a very busy, hectic but rewarding Saturday I awoke early on this dark Sunday morning to begin another amazing day of ministry. Deprived of another hour of sleep by this foolishness called daylight savings time, I left the house in total darkness, around 6:15 a.m. to begin my morning at Most Holy Trinity. With our pastor still recovering from his surgery we are relying on the help of visiting priests. So I made sure that I was on hand for the 7 a.m. Mass to assist our visitor and wound up staying for the 9 and the 11. This first Sunday of Lent was a wonderful opportunity to remind everyone of the penetential nature of the season and encourage all to prayer, fasting and almsgiving.

During the morning, between Masses, I visited the children of our 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade CCD. My mission today was to get the children to draw colorful pictures to bring to Rayburn prison for next week's retreat. They all enthusiastically agreed. It is always a joyful experience to visit with our CCD children.

And as I completed my last Mass of the morning I jumped in the car with one of our Deacon candidates and we took off for an afternoon at Rayburn prison. Today my mission was to expose Tim to the cell blocks including the lock down unit. Here is where the rubber meets the road in prison ministry. Here is where you just listen and realize that your ministry is about presence.

We spent about 2 houes on the ground before returning home where I eventually made it to the comfort of my own living room about 4:30 p.m. Yes, a long day of ministry but a fulfilling and rewarding one! And my wondeful wife spent most of the day baking cookies for my prison retreat this coming weekend.

God is so good; all the time!

No comments:

Post a Comment