Saturday, December 11, 2010

Assigned to a new parish; the abitadeacon is moving

Can I still be called the abitadeacon?

As soon as ordination drew near for me in 2008, I was notified by the Archdiocese that I would be assigned to both the prison ministry at Rayburn and to my home parish of St. Jane de Chantal in Abita Springs, La. The assignment to the prison was no surprise as I had trained in my clinical pastoral training at Rayburn and specifically requested this ministry when I learned of the retirement of the existing Deacon. My assignment to my home parish was quite a surprise because we had 3 deacons in service to the parish.

Over the past two years it has been a privilege and quite a learning opportunity to assist with my 3 brother deacons who have over 50 years experience between them. I have been able to serve in the parish where my family has worshipped since 1996, where my daughter attended CCD and CYO, where my wife teaches CCD and where I helped start and later serve as Grand Knight our local Knights of Columbus Council.

I clearly remember my Ordination and the promise made to be obedient to the Archbishop and his successors. I also clearly remember that the Permanent Diaconate is a ministry to the diocese and the bishop. No deacon is ordained for a specific parish or ministry. And the deacon must always be responsive to the fuller needs of the people of God as assessed by the Archbishop and his collaborators.

So it has been determined that I will be transferred to another parish effective January 3, 2011. My move from the familiar St. Jane de Chantal will be about 6 miles down the road to the young and growing parish of Most Holy Trinity. The parish was established by the Archdiocese about 6 years ago and currently meets in an old retail office space. A new church will be built soon and was front page news this morning in our area. The pastor is Father Rodney Bourg.

Needless to say this is a big change for me. As a Permanent Deacon I am excited and honored to respond to the needs of the people of God and look forward to my new assignment. As a long time parishioner at St. Jane de Chantal, where I have been able to serve as a Deacon for 2 years now, it is a little sad. I will dearly miss the people, the staff, my brother deacons-Frans, Don and Mark, and the priests, Fr. Robert and Fr. Raymond. I will miss the familiarity with every nook and cranny of the 80 year old church, the recently renovated sanctuary and the new Barre center which houses our offices and CCD program. I will miss everything about good St. Jane’s in Abita Springs.

But let me be clear, I am excited about my new assignment. I look forward to working with Fr. Rodney, Fr. Dean and Deacon Tom at Most Holy Trinity. And I look forward to making new friends, to serving new families and to be reunited with many St. Jane families who became part of Most Holy Trinity’s boundaries a few years ago.

At this time of year when we remember the witness of Mary and John the Baptist as we travel through Advent preparing for Christmas, may I too echo: may it be done to me according to your word and may I decrease so Jesus may increase.

The abitadeacon is on the move! May God continue to grant me the grace and strength to serve Him as I serve His people at Most Holy Trinity!

Deo Gratias!

No comments:

Post a Comment