Wednesday, October 13, 2010

and because one day they do get out

Tonight was another road trip north to the prison known as Rayburn where I minister as the Deacon for our Catholic faith community. I've written extensively about this ministry and anyone who knows me or reads this blog should sense my love for prison ministry. I've done much, at least I think so, to bring my family, friends, parishioners, co-workers, into the realm of my experiences as a prison minister. Yet the questions continue: why do you do it?

My primary answers have been because I was called to do it, it's part of my charism as a Deacon and I've developed a personal commitment to this ministry after serving for 6 months as a prison minister during my formation. But another answer, which has a practical dimension to it, is because one day they do get out.

And they do. Just tonight I wished one of our guys well as he will be long gone by the time I return. And another is down to just 58 days. Just this year alone we have said goodbye to several of the men as they return home. I will strongly suggest to all who read this that since an inmate often returns to the community I want them returning with a faith life. Time and time again prison related studies and surveys prove that recidivissm is much improved among those inmates that attend religious functions while incarcerated. At Rayburn I am extremely happy to be just a part of a strong effort to bring the Catholic Church to the men on the inside. Fortified by a team of 3 lay volunteers and supported by many priests of the area a strong Catholic identity makes its way to Rayburn.

In addition to communion services, Masses, opportunities for confession we also have Bible study, catechism and RCIA. The men have truly learned to form community. And I will be bold enough to predict that when each of them returns to society they stand a much better chance of remaining free, in large part, to these faith opportunities.

So avoid the temptation to dismiss prison ministry as something vital that the Catholic Church must be actively involved with. Remember, one day they do get out.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, one day they do get out. A prisoner who was so grateful for someone writing to him, when everyone else abandoned him, wrote: "Inside, in all the time I have here, I pray for you and give thanks that God sent you to me."

    You may have more souls praying for you than you may know, Deacon Mike.

    ReplyDelete