Monday, September 20, 2010

Monday, Monday; a personal reflection

Mondays can be tough; not because it is Monday but what we have made of the first day of the traditional work week. We can whine and complain because we return to work and/or school after those treasured days off. I don't long for Monday either, but that's on me. Monday is, like the other six days of the week, the day the Lord has made.

My big dilemas on most Monday's are how tough work will be, or how hard will it be to get out the bed. Many times, usually in prayer time, while reflecting, I realize that I should be thankful for my job and thrilled at the gift of another morning. Today was very busy at the office and a bit chaotic because of the many activities ahead. But during the hectic activity I heard a story on the radio during my lunch break about a quadruple amputee who swam the English Channel. Wow! Makes you want to mumble out loud, what did you accomplish today? I marvel both at the accomplishment of this amazing man and at the fact that God placed me in the right place at the right time to hear such an inspirational story.

And today as well, between tasks and customer demands, I recalled that a dear friend began day one of a six week course of chemotherapy in his courageous fight to defeat cancer. Again, what was difficult about my day today? And my friends ordeal, being handled with dignity and grace, reminded me that everyday, even Mondays, are another day for those who are ill to fight on!

This Monday also reminded me about the Gospel lesson from yesterday. We truly cannot serve two masters. It is reality that we dust ourselves off and start all over again, as in a new work week or school week, but do we completely and totally serve God. Do we see our everyday tasks as service in His Kingdom? Do we see Jesus in the many people we face everyday, even Monday? Do we grumble too easily or rejoice in thankfulness for the many gifts that everyday brings our way?

I've survived this Monday! And it really was not that big of a deal. Thank you Lord for the gift of this day. Forgive me Lord for the many weak moments when I may have grumbled or despaired today. Keep me Lord ever mindful that it is you alone I choose to serve and may that service help me to be cheerful and kind to everyone I meet.

Monday, Monday; today it is the day the Lord has made!

No comments:

Post a Comment