Monday, June 21, 2010

Day after Father's Day thoughts

Yesterday was Father's Day and I had the beautiful opportunity to baptize a beautiful baby girl and preach two homilies at two different churches. I worked all week on my homily and posted it on this blog Saturday afternoon. On Sunday mornng, at the 11 a.m. Mass the Holy Spirit took over. At a critical point in the homily, where I try to make the readings come alive for all of us in the week ahead, I addressed the men; partcularly father's.

After addressing the need to support our spiritual father's with a special collection for retired Priest's, I was compelled to speak about the awesome role of being a father. I remember two main points: fathers, if you love your children then love their mother and fathers, inspire other men in your life to give back to God and return to Church.

Point one: Love your child's mother! Hopefully, that would also be your wife. I do understand and am sympathetic that this is not always the case. However, for those who are husband and wife and are raising children, let your love for one another show to your children. And if possible, try to avoid arguments or disagreements from your child's view. And always remember the command all of us have from Jesus to love one another. For our families sake, that should be paramount between moms and dads. And for those who have seperated or divorced and still have children to raise and care for, you too can follow this command to love. Yes, I understand the love you once had for one another as husband and wife may be over. But for the children, we can agree to demonstrate Christian love; the love of Christ for the Church. And we can jointly share our childrens joy and happiness as well as comfort and console when necessary.

Point two: Despite many men present at Mass and it being Father's Day no less, I was still struck by the number of families present with mom, kids in tow and sans daddy. I asked the men present to be a little more forceful in sharing their faith with those absent fathers or men in general. These men may be their sons, brothers, co-workers and neighbors. But living our faith with joy and sharing that with others; and perhaps inviting them back to Church may plant a seed that one day will bear good fruit.

I am so thankful to the Holy Spirit; when we rely on Him, He never lets us down!

No comments:

Post a Comment