Saturday, April 3, 2010

Pope John Paul II The 5th anniversary of his death

In the midst of Holy Week and all the activity surrounding it, I guess it is not too surprising that I missed the anniversary of the death of Pope John Paul II. It was five years ago, yesterday, April 2nd, that John Paul the Great breathed his last.

It's hard to believe that this event pre-dates Hurricane Katrina; equally as hard to believe that it has been 5 years since his death.

Pope John Paul II played a very large role in my personal journey back to the Church, in that period of time when I drifted away and looked into other faith traditions. It was his constant witness to the faith and his example that assisted me in coming home. His writings were amazing and his faithfulness to Scripture, particularly in the development of the new Catechsism, struck me as significant.

I, along with millions across the world, continue to pray with the Pope and for his eventual beatification and hopefully canonization.

No comments:

Post a Comment