Friday, April 2, 2010

Good Friday; spent a different way

Good Friday 2010 and I got to see how the other half lives. In years past, this was a day off; or at worst a half-day at the office. And for years, as I attended the Lord's Passion at 3 p.m. on Good Friday afternoon, I would give little thought to why some folks just were not there in the Church. It never dawned on me that some people were at work; like any other Friday.

Today is far from any other Friday. On our calendar it is the Friday we remember the Crucifixion of Jesus; his agony and his death and his burial. It is a day filled with Stations of the Cross, or the devotion of walking to 9 churches and it is the day when we gather at 3 p.m., the hour of his death, to remember. I love the service on Good Friday afternoon; the reading of the Passion, the veneration of the Cross; the empty tabernacle. It, like last night, is a rich liturgy. No mass; but a special commemoration of Good Friday.

Yet today I found myself at work. I decided, as best I could, to be a witness today to Good Friday. Understanding that not all I encounter at work are Catholic, or even care that it is Good Friday, my comittment was to give testimony to my faith. I made sure I was kind and considerate, I gave up my lunch, I worked hard and helped my clients and I prayed that all I encountered would somehow know what Jesus did for them on this Good Friday.

So tonight, staying around the house, hopefully in some peace and quiet, I am praying that Good Friday prayer; we adore thee oh Christ and we praise you, because by your Holy Cross you have redeemed the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment