Monday, January 4, 2010

Call no Permanent Deacon father

This has been happening to me for some time now; it just seems like it happened quite a bit over the last couple of weeks. With overflow crowds at most Masses and well wishing inspired by the Christmas spirit, I was often greeted with a "Merry Christmas father" or "have a great day father" or "beautiful Mass father".

For the most part I usually let the well intentioned greeting go. Afterall, they all could not be more sincere. Now that I have been a Permanent Deacon for over a year and have made the loop through the liturgical calendar, I must admit that this concerns me. Remember, these are church-going, Sacrament receiving Catholics who still do not understand the distiction in office between a Priest and a Permanent Deacon.

Have we failed to do a good job of cathecizing the faithful? Do Catholics understand the three offices of Bishop, Priest, Deacon? Is it not easily observable that the Priest and Deacon function differently at Mass?

Since the Permanent Diaconate is only about 35 years old in my archdiocese (New Orleans) I guess we may have done a poor job of teaching the faithful about the role and function of the Deacon. Perhaps Catholics, especially those who were active in the church 40 years ago, still believe that Deacon is a step toward Priesthood. Of course this is true of those on the path of ordination to become a Priest. These men are ordained as Deacons, usually a year or so before the Priesthood, and they are considered transitional. When they function as a Deacon at Mass, they vest like a Deacon. Same for the Permanent Deacon; he never vests like a Priest.

Before I give some helpful hints to the faithful on how to spot a Deacon at Mass let me start at a more important place. Deacons are ordained clergy. Yes, they come from the lay faithful, the parishes but once ordained they are clergy. Deacons serve primarily in ministries of charity, like food banks, hospitals, prisons, youth centers, etc. But Deacons play ever increasing roles around the parish. Deacons, by their office, can preach, prepare the gifts, invoke the penetential rite, the sign of peace and the dismissal. If a Deacon is present at Mass, he will proclaim the Gospel; always!

You can spot a Deacon on the altar by his vestments. Many times Deacons do not wear the outer garment but have a stole, which crosses his chest, over an alb. If he does wear an outer garment his is a dalmatic; it has sleeves, where the Priest wears a chausable, no sleeves. You may notice that the Deacon never presides and never speaks during the consecration. The Deacon does not take the Eucharist onto himself; the Priest gives the Deacon the Eucharist. And during Mass, the Deacon never gives the blessing; this is given by the Priest.

Another helpful hint; after Mass, wen my wife comes to me and gives me a big hug or I'm greeting my daughter, that can be a sign that I'm not a Priest.

The full restoration of the Permanent Diaconate is one of the many great blessings and graces of the Second Vatican Council. Deacons serve a much needed ministry in the Church and do not exist because of a shortage of Priests. Oh yes, Deacons are more visible these days in places where Priests used to be visible. The restoration of the Permanent Diaconate has allowed our Priests to attend to parish matters, spiritual direction and minister Sacraments.

I'll never get offended if you pass me after Mass and say good day father. Just look for the signs and remember that Deacon is indeed an ordained ministry of the Catholic Church.

And if you want to look for me ministering away from Mass, come find me at work, the store, around the community, at the prison or just helping others.

I hope this helps. And I would be interested in your opinion: should I correct those who call me father or just let it go. I'm anxious to find out what you think!

2 comments:

  1. Hello, Deacon Mike - stumbled here from Why I Am Catholic - decided to answer this post for a couple of reasons: first, I have some very good friends who are transplants from LA - my best friend is from Donaldsonville. Next, I'm married to a physician and it really drives me nuts when people call physician's assistants "Doctor" - they simply are not. I think, often times, well-intentioned people are trying to be complimentary, but it just isn't right.

    Finally, as to your particular question - I have a brother that is a permanent deacon in the diocese of St. Paul, MN. I'm going to ask him if that ever happens to him and how he responds, then I'll get back to you!

    Nice blog! God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Deacon Mike!
    I am one of 6 men who have finished the Propaedeutic Year and have just received the call to proceed with 1st year studies for the Permanent Diaconate in the Diocese of Kildare and Leighlin, Ireland. We have no precedent because the Permanent Diaconate has just been (re)established in this Diocese. So it's all ahead of us if the good Lord wills. Great to see that technology allows us students the possibility of having many virtual mentors like yourself :)
    There is a simple solution to the above nomenclature problem!! Each time you are called 'Father' just tell them with a smile, "No actually I am a Deacon" or shake their hand and say "Deacon Mike actually if truth be told" If it's a case that many of the faithful call you Father then I feel a homily coming on!!!!!
    It's gonna be strange here in the Emerald Isle for a while after the PD's make their appearance but we can help to shortlive the transition problems if we are honest!

    ReplyDelete