Sunday, December 13, 2009

I Love Lucy

I will admit that among all the many wonderful men and women who have been elevated to Sainthood, I never gave much thought to St. Lucy. When the date for our ordination was finally set on December 13, 2008 I looked up the Saint of the day. Remember, my class saw ordination postponed a year because of Hurricane Katrina. I read about Saint Lucy and often invoked her prayerful intercession as I prepared for ordination.

Today, on this my 1st anniversary of ordination to the Permanent Diaconate, I reflect about St. Lucy whose feast day it is, although usurpped this year by the 3rd Sunday of Advent. Lucy is one of those Saints from a very long time ago. She was born in the 3rd century in Syracuse, Sicily. During the persecution of the Emperor Diocletian, Lucy refused to marry a suitor. The governor arrested her, had her sentenced and ordered her to live in a brothel. She refused to go and was ordered to be burned to death. Everytime they tried, the flames were unable to consume her. Finally, Lucy suffered martyrdom for her faith when she was stabbed through the throat. This occurred around the year 304.

Her name, Lucy, means light and she is the patron Saint of those with eye troubles. One of the ancient legends of St. Lucy is that she literally tore her own eyes out to present to her suitor who admired the beauty of her eyes. Of course the suitor was disgusted at the sight of her vacant eye sockets.

Her feast day was established on December 13th. Her feast day will forever be linked to my ordination day. That is why I Love Lucy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment