Wednesday, December 9, 2009

But these guys get it!

So tonight I faithfully journey to the northernmost part of my Archdiocese to minister to the men in our Catholic community in prison. As is often the case, the evening leaves me with much joy and hope.

Celebrating Advent and coming to them during the week of great feasts in honor of Mary, I used my "homily time" to do a little Catholic teaching. I wanted to explain the Immaculate Conception and further give a little history lesson on Our Lady of Gaudalupe in light of the Protestant Reformation. Based on their reaction and responses, these guys get it. They truly are studying their faith while paying off their debt to society. And then we discussed the role of John the Baptist, beginning with the story of the two "moms"; Elizabeth and Mary. We talked about John's role in announcing the Lord and waving off those who tried to declare him the messiah. They got it too.

And tonight we were blessed to have several new attendees. One wants to return to the Sacraments, one wants to convert, another inquired about confirmation. Then one inmate asked me if he could read something. I've never seen him before so I wondered for a moment what he may want to read. But I asked him to step up front and read the handwritten note on a single sheet of notebook paper. He wrote a thank you note to God, maybe more like a love letter. He thanked God for leading him back and for forgiving him no matter how many times he let God down. He went on to explain that here in prison, he has returned to church and a right relationship with God. And as he concluded this personal sharing, the men applauded with several declaring welcome home, or you are where God wants you to be.

How many times do I hear or experience similar events such as this one when I venture to the "inside". Before you dismiss this with a sarcastic: what else do they have to do in jail? let me tell you; the answer is plenty. They are free not to come, or go to another event, or change faith beliefs. But every week they come. They are enriched by His Word, they receive Him in Holy Communion, they fellowship with God and one another and they pray for their families, their faith to increase, for God's will to be done in their legal matters and for those who come and minister to them and they sing, loud and proud.

My visits inside prison give me hope and joy as I spend time with Catholic men who get it!

No comments:

Post a Comment